Apple Wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrCoastBrew

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a porter and I was thinking of either smoking a small amount of grain with apple wood or putting apple wood into my secondary. Has anyone ever done this or is it just a crazy mix of flavors?

i just cracked open a beer that i smoked my own grains in and it was glorious.. i smoked all of my base malt with a mix of hickory and apple for 20 minutes stirring every 7 or so. the apple will offer a really mellow smokeyness compared to mesquite or other food chips.

Sounds pretty good to me. I would be careful where you get your wood from though. Stay away from apple wood that came from a commercial orchard. The wood can be impregnated with pesticides.

Hijack Question: roughly how many oz of woodchips per gallon of beer would use durring secondary fermintation?

I think that is open to interpretation. It depends on the flavor your going for, type of wood, and size of chips. The bigger the chips the less flavor they impart due to surface contact the opposite is true for smaller chips. I am going to start conservatively and go from there.

I think that is open to interpretation. It depends on the flavor your going for, type of wood, and size of chips. The bigger the chips the less flavor they impart due to surface contact the opposite is true for smaller chips. I am going to start conservatively and go from there.

you will get the same flavor with bigger chips it just takes longer to get there.
if you look at cubes they have a contact time of 8 weeks

Latest posts

Back