bottle capper malfunction ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
just bottled another batch. less than a dozen on this capper and i noticed after i capped them that even if i push harder than usual the cap will still spin if i grab a hold any try hard enough. are they still sealed ? has it worn out already ??? several diff. styles of bottle all the same results. moosehead, sam adams, bass, american ale......this is a HAND capper.

I've had brews from the store that I could twist. Then, after twisting for a minute or so, no leak, so i popped the cap, and tada, good beer. My caps will spin more on thin lipped bottles, like the American Ale bottles. They seal though, so no complaints.

They might be fine, like the others say. But, none of mine ever spin. I use the red hand capper. I've also never bought a beer (that I can remember) that had a spinning cap. If your using the red capper, try a little more pressure. There's a spring in it, that should prevent you from breaking the bottle.

-Aaron

edit- Guess I missed part of your post. Don't worry about it. The seal is fine.

On my bench capper, if I over-press, it deforms the center and the caps go loose. Takes a "just right" force to get them tight and when so, no amount of hand torque will spin 'em.

Yup - don't force the capper down so hard that you "dimple" the center of the bottle cap. You want to pinch the sides down, not deform the center.

When I got my hand capper, I tried it on an empty bottle first. I was able to pop the top off with my thumb!!! Then after some experimentation (more force) the cap went on perfectly. When I bottled my first batch, I did find out that too much pressure is not appreciated by the bottle! Three batches later, that is the only bottle that I have broken.

When I got my hand capper, I tried it on an empty bottle first. I was able to pop the top off with my thumb!!! Then after some experimentation (more force) the cap went on perfectly. When I bottled my first batch, I did find out that too much pressure is not appreciated by the bottle! Three batches later, that is the only bottle that I have broken.

Yep. As our pillaging/plundering friend said, the wing style cappers just take a bit of practice. They all have a "sweet spot," and too much or too little pressure will screw things up. Play around with it a bit, and find where that perfect level is. :mug:

Back