I broke pretty much every rule in the book...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds almost like EdWort's Apfelwein, but you probably didn't think to sanitize, right?

Well, there wasn't really anything to sanitize per se... all I did was dump some sugar in to the jug the apple juice came in, sprinkle in the dry yeast, and see what happens! But no, I didn't sanitize a thing. That room was FAR from a sanitary environment.

This was little more than dorm room chemistry about a decade ago, but I would still like to try to make a real cider at some point. :)

Reading that, it's surprising how similar his recipe actually is to what I used... I used whatever standard from-concentrate apple juice was cheapest at the grocery store. I think the biggest problem was the yeast... grocery store bread yeast is NOT conducive to good fermentation! :cross:

I was just going to say that I bet the yeast was the problem. Bread yeast probably makes great bread and lousy beer/cider.

I don't know; America has a fantastically diverse range of different watering holes - I've drunk in many a place throughout the states, from the napa valley and mexican vineyards, to the micro breweries of Georgia (Sweetwater Blue anyone?) and many bars between the two! In England we have pubs, and just pubs. In the states you have a much more interesting range of places to drink, although there's no denying that a true british pub is something very, very special.

In America, there used to be a major neighborhood bar phenomenon in the cities, especially in blue-collar areas. Pretty much every block or two had a small bar at the corner, and it was basically the living room/restaurant for everyone who lived in that block or two. Many houses didn't have air conditioning (so the bar would be the comfortable spot to go in the summer), houses were a lot smaller (so it was less comfortable to have friends over to your house), and people were more static (living in the same neighborhood you'd grown up in was the norm for many working class areas).

You'd go there after work and hang out with the neighbors, and for a lot of people you'd go there every night and see the same people for decades. Even people who didn't drink would often go, because it was basically the social gathering place for the tight-knit community.

Suburbanization, the move to split zoning of residential areas away from commercial ones, and the move to bigger houses eliminated this culture from most areas.

I was not judging. I was just thinking that it would be hard to ask for advise if you were underage.
Fair enough :) I was just aware that my age might make people think 'this is just some kid pratting about' and I didn't want that to happen.

The beer is still bubbling away after 6 days, It tastes veeeeeeeery hoppy - let's hope it doesn't keep getting worse eh? :D The change in colour is quite amazing - it's turned from a orangey baby-poo colour to a really nice light yellow.

I'll bottle it as soon as I can see that it's stopped bubbling, which I expect will happen in the next few days. Then I'll drink a pint of it and report back!

Edit:
Day 1:
beer.jpg

Day 6:
Beer3.jpg

I tried some!

Well, the good news is that it's definately beer!
It's also definately a wheat beer lol, the taste isn't very 'full' though. It tastes 'green' in the same way that a very young wine tastes green. The flavours are there but they taste unrefined and unmatured, but boy oh boy there's a hell of a lot of flavour!
The bitterness is definately the first thing that hits your senses - it's not actually a bad taste, just a little too prevalent.

Despite the short mash times, there is a strong malty flavour which instantly reminds me of the smell of the mashing wheat - This is quite sugary but not in a 'caster sugary' way, more like the sweetness you get from fruit.

In my opinion, it's perfectly drinkable, not as a session beer though; I can imagine drinking a pint of it whilst sitting in the sun on the patio at a barbeque in the summer!

The one thing that, in my opinion, saved the brew, was the addition of the orange-bloom honey. I was skeptical as to whether it would actually make any difference to the taste of the beer but it's actually quite astounding - you can almost taste the honey as much as the hops... before the bitterness kicks in anyway!

I've put two glasses of beer in the fridge to cool - one with a sugar-free sweetener tablet in it, and one with out; both are covered in cling film with a few holes pricked in the top. I figure that I would hate the taste of warm hoegarden, so hopefully chilling this will make it improve hugely!

- H

I tried some!

Well, the good news is that it's definately beer!
It's also definately a wheat beer lol, the taste isn't very 'full' though. It tastes 'green' in the same way that a very young wine tastes green. The flavours are there but they taste unrefined and unmatured, but boy oh boy there's a hell of a lot of flavour!
H

Ya know? Despite how some people here have interpreted your whimsical first effort, I think you are gonna be good at this monster we call homebrewing! You show a good understanding of what you are looking for, and what you are tasting. Props to you! :mug:

Cheers Laughing Gnome :) I'm looking forward to starting my first proper batch next month!

I've now bottled this batch and it's going to sit for at least 2 weeks before I try it again! Thanks to everyone for the help and advice - I'll be back soon with something a little more planned and measured :D
H

Read the rest of this thread. Answers all your questions.

I've been following it, I asked because a while back he was asking about priming and the flip-tops he was fermenting in weren't pressure tested. So I was wondering if he got new bottles or if he just went with flat beer or risked the untested bottles or what.

EDIT: Found it:
I'm not going to try and carbonate the beer, because it would be a shame to lose it after all this hilarity!

Actually sumner great question
I didn't do anything to two bottles,
I put two sweetener tablets in two bottles,
I primed two bottles with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Let's see what happens!

I had forgotten about this thread so I've just caught up. This thread definitely took a few twists and turns along the way, but I'm glad it's back on track and more importantly that your brew is drinkable.

I tasted my first batch this Sunday after about 8 days in primary...it tasted like beer, though still underdeveloped. I'm excited for the final product and already ordered a second fermenting bucket so that I can get two batches going in the future! lol

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick update to say that I tried this brew again, and it was far, far too bitter to be drinkable; no amount of sweetener could have fixed it! The bottles carbonated well and it was very fizzy but just wasn't worth keeping, so I dumped all but 1 bottle which I'm going to keep for a month or two just out of interest.
I've now done my first proper extract brew; my own recipe. I used beersmith and hit the predicted OG of 1.060 perfectly - it's now bubbling away in the fermenter.
See more about that in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-brew-fermenter-107309/

Thanks for the help and advice!
H

Latest posts

Back