5cf Igloo chest freezer from Jewel stores in IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
I got one yesterday. I will just start kegging now that I have it. The compressor shelf is bigger than the bump in other similar sized models and takes up about 40% of the width. You can fit two cornies on one side and third on the compressor ledge/bump if you add a tall collar. A 5lb co2 tank may fit on the floor with the cornies or also on the ledge.

If you want to use it for fermentation you can fit only one 6.5g pail or carboy on the floor and there isn't enough height left for another on the ledge. I don't know the dimensions of 3g carboys, but you might be able to sit one up there.

I plan to put two cornies with picnic taps on there to start. Later I can decide if I want to upgrade or just use it for fermentation.

I figured with the food coupons there wasn't much of a chance of losing out on the deal. Worst case scenario I just wind up using it for food.

I got mine at 5 pm yesterday at the Jewel on North Ave in Melrose Park. They had more available and nobody else seemed interested in them. Because this Jewel is the closest one to their main distribution garage they may have a larger supply. Good luck.

On sale again :) I bought one for food last night and probably going back today for another one. Does anyone know if these are manual or auto defrost? Manuals are supposed to do better when kept outside in a cold garage than the auto-defrost models.

Sorry to keep posting on an old thread, but no point in starting a new one. Jewel now has the 5cf freezer on sale for $99. You still get the $170 worth of coupons with it.

Sorry to keep posting on an old thread, but no point in starting a new one. Jewel now has the 5cf freezer on sale for $99. You still get the $170 worth of coupons with it.

Checked that myself today and sure enough my Jewel has them for $99 with the coupon book. I just about have the wife convinced. I lack a kegging system and don't see a purchase of one until this summer, but it's hard to pass that up with a price like that.

Back