Blow-off didn't blow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffman

Reaction score
It's a first after many batches where I used the blow off method, nothing blew out! Fermentation started kind of slowly and while it's pumping out the carbon dioxide like mad now, nothing ever came out! There just isn't any foam, I could have started with a airlock. Is this unusual? I'm wondering if oil in the chocolate or coffee I added could have killed the foam.

I brewed a High Sierra Stout kit from Alternative Beverage with the addition of 8 oz. semi-sweet bakers chocolate (added with 20 minutes left in the boil) and 1/2 lb fresh ground coffee (that I let steep in the wort for 10 minutes after I took the pot off the element).

I did carefully strain the wort through a nylon straining bag placed over my plastic bucket and removed all the large particulates before transferring into my carboy.

7 lbs DME
1 bag specialty malts in a muslin bag
1-1/4 oz Nugget pellet hops loose
1/2 oz Amarillo flower hops in a muslin bag.
Safale US-05 yeast (btw - 2 months out of date but always refrigerated)

I must say the English Special Bitter I brewed two weeks ago overflowed my 2 liter plastic drink bottle the overflow tube goes into three times.

blow-off-01.jpg

I've brewed about 250 beers- I've used a blow off once. I'd say you were "normal" if you didn't this time. Sometimes fermentation is very vigorous, sometimes you don't have enough headspace, wheat beers tend to be more explosive, etc. But usually, if you ferment with enough headspace you don't need a blow off tube!

I've brewed IPA's, Stouts, and other ale, and never had a problem with blow-off, never had any blow-off.

It is not uncommon, I would not worry about it.

Yep, nothing to worry about. In fact, avoiding blow-off can often be a good thing. Some of the stuff that tends to get ejected is needed for good head retention in the finished beer. Best to conserve it, if possible.

However, I think your good. I just used Wyeast 1332 xl on the last one. that yeast didn't get very excited. It took 12 days for the krausen to drop. I think some yeasts take more time.

Unlike the Nottingham yeast show above, which the krausen has already dropped and it hasn't even been 48 hours.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but IMHO, if you leave proper headspace and pitch a proper ratio of yeast, you don't need a blowoff.

Sometimes it's nice to reuse a cake and need a blowoff, but generally, the right proportions don't require it...although bigger brews tend to be more vigorous, especially when pitched properly, so they could be the exception.

Yes. It is a 6.5 gallon BB (better bottle).

I wanted glass, but they only have 5 gallons bottles.

Better Bottles only come in three sizes- 3 gallons, 5 gallons, and 6 gallons. I wish they came in a 6.5- then I'd use them for primary! Since they don't, I generally don't use them for primary. I make 5.25 gallon batches and a 6 gallon BB isn't quite big enough for me.

Hence, I don't think you have 1.5 gallons of headspace! Probably about 1 gallon, not quite enough!

Back