How long does slurry last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok pretty straight forward question here. I have some slurry sitting in the fridge. It has been in a mason jar with plastic wrap on the top. I used a rubberband to hold it on. How long will the slurry last? It has been in there at least 6 weeks. Thanks for all the help!! Happy brewing.

Tom

If i were to collect a slurry would that mean i would not need to pitch a new yeast package? or is that just a "helper"?

If i were to collect a slurry would that mean i would not need to pitch a new yeast package? or is that just a "helper"?

Yep, you can use the slurry to make a starter and use that as the yeast for another batch.

Ok pretty straight forward question here. I have some slurry sitting in the fridge. It has been in a mason jar with plastic wrap on the top. I used a rubberband to hold it on. How long will the slurry last? It has been in there at least 6 weeks. Thanks for all the help!! Happy brewing.

Tom

If you use a starter, it will probably be fine if everything was sanitized. I've heard of yeast slurries being good for up to a year with a good starter.

I did not make a starter. When I took it out of the fridge to warm up, with in 30 min I had a bubble in the plastic wrap. I put it into my wort and it started right off. Worked like a charm!

Back