The BJCP Exam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlandsailor

Reaction score
Well, I just finished taking the BJCP exam on Saturday (2-18-06). Just thought I would post some comments.

For those of you not familiar with the test, it is 10 essay questions (closed book) and judging of 4 beers. You answer all 10 questions and then every 30 minutes or so, the exam proctor drops off a beer for you to judge (also closed book). You have to complete the whole thing in 3 hours.

Was it worthwhile? If you had asked me a day before the test, I would have said no. Studying was hard for me. I couldn't see the point of memorizing all those beer styels and writing essay questions. Today, I've done a complete 180 and think it was more than worthwhile. I know the BJCP guidelines better than I ever have, and can now appreciate the subtleties between the styles. I also feel a huge sense of accomplishment. I think I did relatively well, hopefully well enough to reach the Certified level, but we won't find out for about 8 - 10 weeks.

Was it hard? Hell yes. Essay tests are always hard. They test you more thoroughly than a multiple guess test could ever hope to. In hindsight, the essay format is the only way to go. It's the only way to really test how well you know the styles and all the other aspects of brewing. And let's face it, it SHOULD be hard. Not just anyone should be able to be a certified beer judge. It should take effort, commitment, and skill. If it was easy, then what good would it be? Also, since judging is in essay format, you should be able to express your comments and evaluation in this fashion.

If you prepare properly, it should be a matter of endurance and time management, not struggling to remember answers. Either you know the material, or you don't. When I was finished, the 10 essay questions took up 15 hand written notebook pages, plus 4 fully filled out score sheets for each of the beers judged. Needless to say, I was exhausted afterward. I was writing up to the very end. I think the test is structured so that you have to manage your time well. I don't think there will be many people finishing 30 minutes early.

For anyone entertaining the idea, I would totally recommend taking the exam. Start studying now, go to the BJCP website and download the guidelines and study guide. Talk 5 or so of your brewing buddies into taking it too. It won't be easy, but you will be better brewers for it.

Prosit!

Okay, this seems like a good opportunity to bring something up that I've been wondering about for a LONG time.

Isn't this jusdging stuff HIGHLY subjective? Can't another's views toward a style of beer sway the final marks? Personally, I think beer judging is a load of crap. In the few comps I've seen done, You can have 3 judges doing the same beer and be 10 points different. Then you can have those judges absolutely not back down on thier assessment. It is mostly BS IMHO.

I've considered taking the BJCP exam. I definitely think it will help me make better beer, but I'm not convinced that the BJCP guidelines are what is best for deciding on what a good beer and what isn't.

Rant over.

Dude said:
I definitely think it will help me make better beer, but I'm not convinced that the BJCP guidelines are what is best for deciding on what a good beer and what isn't. Rant over.

Well said.

yeah its defnitely highly subjective but unfortunately the way things work. someone knowing a lot about politics doesnt mean they won't vote a jackass into office ya' know.

one thing i don't care for about the system is that it rewards too heavily for sticking within style guidelines. what about good beers that try new things. they shouldn't just be relegated to an experimental category.

I guess maybe the flip side of this is that standard judging norms contribute to consensus on what make each style what it is. Think of a dog show - there could be a really cute little fuzz ball dog that all the judges like - but it won't win the Golden Retriever category. If they like it enough and it breeds true, they could add a Little Fuzz Ball Dog category. So that liking (or not liking) a particular style category, or a particular beer within a category, is in fact subjective. But the norms aren't and probably should not be, so that compliance with the norms should be at least in theory objectively judged.

drengel's comments sound exactly what I would expect sam caligione to say. well put!

Any judgment has a subjective edge to it (music, movies, beer), especially when you put a numerical value on the interpretation of the senses. I'm sure that the knowledge will improve one's brew too.

I would guess (not knowing one whit about BJCP judging) that the point of the certification is to at least normalize the styles with the judges so that there is a clear understanding of what an APA is vs a German smoke beer, and to then give the judges the tools and vocabulary to learn how to judge the beers which is obviously quite subjective. I don't think the point is that every judge so judge beer 'X' within a tenth of a point of each other, but at least they all understand in a concrete manner what the style is meant to be, and how to individually employ the tools of judging to arrive at their own results.

Looking back, I wrote a lot of words and still don't know if I got my point across. In any case, I'd look forward to Dennis coming back and clarifying what he got out of the exam specifically.

And good luck, hope you get the cert!

I believe the judges have to coem within 7 points of each other on a beer.

7 points is a ton, IMHO, and while I'm reasonably confident that MOST judges can get within this threshold of each other--I still think it is WAY too open for one judge's opinion to influence another.

gaelone said:
drengel's comments sound exactly what I would expect sam caligione to say. well put!

Any judgment has a subjective edge to it (music, movies, beer), especially when you put a numerical value on the interpretation of the senses. I'm sure that the knowledge will improve one's brew too.

a very nice compliment...thanks. i think he brews excellent beer, and as an example, take the dog-head India brown. not necesarily to style specs but a damn fine beer that shouldnt be judged down for having to many IBUs.

what was this about being within 7 points of each other? i routinely use the bjcp score sheet when evaluating a new beer. i'm willing to bet that i could try a beer i scored 6 months ago and come up with a 6 point difference just due to changing tastes. 6 months ago i wasn't bored with cascades, if i judged (on personal opinion-not style guidelines) a pale ale brewed with mostly cascades today, it would get a lower mark than it did 6 months ago.
i understand the point of the guidelines, and am thankful they exist because they give some structure to the tasting of beer, as well as being an invaluable resource for me when creating recipes. i also enjoy brew comps, and wish i could be a judge at one. however, as fun as getting together with other brewers is, and as fun as winning is, i still don't hold much stock in the results of the comp. if anything, award winning beers that i have not tried give me direction in the liquor store, but not much else.

i also am very thankful for the people who take the time to become bjcp certified and provide me with that direction in the liquor store. otherwise i'd have to rely on the uneduacted hacks at beeradvocate.com for that direction. if anyone wants an example of how NOT to judge beer, or how subjective it really is, look up a review of one of your favorite beers on one of these websites.

I don't think the judging standards do much to reduce the subjectivity. What it does do is make sure that the judge has learned the appropriate method and terminology used in judging beer and can express it in a clear, understandable fashion.

It's not so much that it reduces subjectivity but it sets a standard of education for the judges.

Anyone want to come to Arkansas this summer and take this test? I won't have time to study for it until then. Once we're done, we can go to the Flying Saucer and celebrate and judge some of their beers.

Good thread.

I too had a very low opinion of judges after receiving some score sheets back. But the more I thought about it, it wasn't the BJCP's fault, these guys were just crappy judges. The first problem with judging, is that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU LIKE! My first judging experience was with Lambics. Personally, I think Lambics are disgusting. But there I was with 4 or 5 of them to score. Judging is all about conformity. How well does the beer conform to the stated guidelines? Well, as I sat there judging Lambics, I found that some of them conformed quite well, they smelled like a barnyard and tasted like sour goat piss. They were putrid, yet conformed to what the guidelines stated, so they scored well.

The second problem with judging is that some judges refuse to read the guidelines. They think they know what an APA should taste like and use their own "guidelines" instead of the sanctioned ones. Again, that's not the BJCP's fault. They provide the guidelines, they test you on the guidelines, and they expect that competition organizers will encourage the judges to use them.

Judging a "good beer" is totally subjective. Judging a beer that conforms to a written set of guidelines is much less so. The BJCP is all about conformity. Some brewers choose not to be hemmed in by such things, and that's cool. You just have to realize that entering your British Pale Ale with Cascade aroma hops into an AHA competition as a 8C is not going to go too well. Doesn't mean it's bad, just means it didn't conform as well as the others.

The test is worthwhile. Anything that makes you more knowledgeable about beer is a good thing and taking the test will definitely accomplish that.

Prosit!

Just wanted to send a quick congrats on your achievement. You are obviously
very passionate about brewing ! Your website has some great info and the 6 tap beer fridge rocks! I'm originally from Maryville so it was good to see someone from
"home" on this site! Good Luck on your test results!

Mamba

All I've achieved is writer's cramp. Won't know the results for many weeks yet. What on earth possessed you to move away from God's country?

Back