What are some good warm weather projects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
not for drinking, but for brewing?? My fermentation closet gets kinda warm (mid 70's to 80). Fermenting elsewhere is not an option.

I hear Wheat beers don't do so well in high temps (which stinks, because Hefweizen is one of the only beers I really like).

Are there any that do well fermenting warm?

ahoym8e said:
not for drinking, but for brewing?? My fermentation closet gets kinda warm (mid 70's to 80). Fermenting elsewhere is not an option.

I hear Wheat beers don't do so well in high temps (which stinks, because Hefweizen is one of the only beers I really like).

Are there any that do well fermenting warm?

I usually brew hefeweizens during the summer. I lean more toward the banana flavors than the clove which is what you get at the higher ferment temps. It will really depend on what type of yeast you use and its prefered fermenting temp.

ahoym8e said:
Stick your fermenter in a rubbermaid tub filled with water, then use ice blocks to cool the water...you can keep the temp down in the mid-60's this way pretty easily.

El Pistolero said:
Stick your fermenter in a rubbermaid tub filled with water, then use ice blocks to cool the water...you can keep the temp down in the mid-60's this way pretty easily.

Or, have you ever tried the "T-shirt trick?" It will cool your fermenter without ice. Stick it in the tub of water, get an old T-shirt wet and put it over your carboy so that the bottom of the shirt is in the water. Let the neck of the carboy stick out of the neck hole on the shirt. It will wick water from the tub, the shirt will stay wet and the evaporation will cool your fermenter.

mmditter said:
Or, have you ever tried the "T-shirt trick?" It will cool your fermenter without ice. Stick it in the tub of water, get an old T-shirt wet and put it over your carboy so that the bottom of the shirt is in the water. Let the neck of the carboy stick out of the neck hole on the shirt. It will wick water from the tub, the shirt will stay wet and the evaporation will cool your fermenter.
A wet T-shirt carboy contest?:confused:

My primary is not a carboy, but a food grade bucket with a spigot near the bottom.

Would it be ok to have the spigot submerged in ice water and then when fermentation is done pull the bucket up and out (potentially shaking up the trub)?

How do I sanitize the spigot before transferring the liqud to my bottling bucket?

Back