Whole leaf and pellet hop question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Im brewing an IPA with Amarillo and Centennial hops. I have 1.5 oz of Amarillo pellets that are 8.0, and 4 oz of whole leaf Centennial that are 8.4. First question is it ok to brew with pellet and whole leaf? I usually use pellet for the boil, but I just happen to have 4oz of Centennial. My second question, would it be better to use the Amarillo for the Bittering, or would the Centennial be better? Still pondering on a final hop schedule, but just thinking about what to use for bittering.

Is it ok to brew with pellet and whole leaf?

Yes!

Would it be better to use the Amarillo for the Bittering, or would the Centennial be better?

To maximize your "hops economy," use the Centennial for bittering. You'll need slightly less hops to achieve the same bitterness, and then you can save the Amarillo for a later addition. Also, it'd be a shame to use up all of your Amarillo for bittering since it has a wonderful citrus flavor and aroma. You'll still have some Centennial left if you want to add a bit of complexity (it also has the classic Pacific northwest citrus character).

Thanks alot. Im thinking:

1oz Centennial at 60
1oz Centennial at 30
1oz Centennial at 15
1.5 Amarillo at 5.

Dry hop with the last oz of Centennial.

I fiigured Id go ahead and throw that last .5 oz in there.

Unless you want a SUPER bitter beer, I'd go with something more like this (assuming a 5 gallon batch):

1.5 oz Centennial (60)
1.0 oz Centennial (20)
1.0 oz Amarillo (0)
0.5 oz Centennial (0)

Dry hop with the remaining Amarillo and Centennial.

+1 on moving the 30 minute addition to 20. IMO, 30 minute additions compared to 20 minutes is a waste of hops. You lose so much flavor after 20 minutes but don't get efficient bitterness out of hops unless you full boil them.

I have seen a ton of recipes lately with 30 minute additions. Am I missing some new information that came out about hop utilization recently? From everything I have read and charts I have seen, to efficiently use hops, they should be used at full boil, or between 0 and 20 minutes.

Back