Where to get rye extract in the UK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Amos

I am from the UK too and am struggling to find everything I need especially at a reasonable price where abouts in the UK are you ?
The best source I have found is from www.brewuk.co.uk they seem to have everything I have needed so far.

Justin.

Hi Justin,

They've got some interesting products on their site, however, no rye malt extract as far as I can see (although they do have crushed grain in small packs).

I know Northern Brewer in the States do a rye malt syrup, but I also know they only ship internally to the US. Surely someone in the UK does something similar?

I'm in Chesterfield, Derbyshire by the way.

Amos

zeropanic said:
Hi Justin,

They've got some interesting products on their site, however, no rye malt extract as far as I can see (although they do have crushed grain in small packs).

I know Northern Brewer in the States do a rye malt syrup, but I also know they only ship internally to the US. Surely someone in the UK does something similar?

I'm in Chesterfield, Derbyshire by the way.

Amos

You would think so I really struggle with my LHB shop it's tiny and they only seem to stock the very basics I.E kits barrels and some extracts and such grains and things like that I have been having to look around.

I am just looking to make the move from kits to extract brewing and its not easy not having everything easy to get.

I'm in sandiacre on the boarder of Nottingham/ Derby so your not that far away I have seen online that there is a home brew shop in Swadlincote somewhere but I haven't got round to tracking it down yet and going and having a look.

The one in long eaton called cheers is the one I go to currently and Saturday just gone I visited te flagon and cask in bulwell and that was a bit grim in there. About the same sake as the long eaton shop but it was pretty dingy and dirty although they do stock small bags of grain which was reasonably well priced £1.60 for a 500 gram bag the hops were expensive through they were £6.80 for a 100 gram bag.

Justin.

That is very expensive for 100g of hops, I buy mine at the moment from Brewmart in Sheffield which isn't too far away for me, their hops are around £4 per 100g. They do a fairly good mail order service from their website, just Google for them. Their delivery charge for orders up to £65 is £5.50 though, but spend over £65 and delivery is free apparently.

Seems there is another shop in Chesterfield, and one in Mansfield, but I've not visited either yet. Most of my current home-brew equipment has been bought by family for me as presents, from places like Wilko and Tesco, lol.

Amos

zeropanic said:
That is very expensive for 100g of hops, I buy mine at the moment from Brewmart in Sheffield which isn't too far away for me, their hops are around £4 per 100g. They do a fairly good mail order service from their website, just Google for them. Their delivery charge for orders up to £65 is £5.50 though, but spend over £65 and delivery is free apparently.

Seems there is another shop in Chesterfield, and one in Mansfield, but I've not visited either yet. Most of my current home-brew equipment has been bought by family for me as presents, from places like Wilko and Tesco, lol.

Amos

Lol most of mine is the same I have bought a few things from my LHB shop but a few things off eBay as well I got another barrel this weekend just gone for £12.50 that puts me up to 3 now :).

So how long have you been brewing ? And how have you been doing so far ? It's nice to find someone from the UK lol.

Justin.

I will have a look at brewmart that link I sent you for brewuk they aren't too badly priced on hops they are around £3.60 and their shipping for orders under 1kg is about £2.60.

Oh, I'm totally new to brewing, only been doing kit and extract since Christmas. Some partial brews with steeped grain. Will eventually move to all grain sometime though, eventually.

Another place for hops I'm considering trying online is SimplyHops. Their site is really easy to navigate, reasonably priced and dead easy to see what's in or out of stock for so many varieties of hop. UK delivery is £2.74 so not bad too. If anyone else knows anything about them I'd like to hear your opinions :)

Amos

I have been going for just under a year now I started with wine though, I'm still doing wine as well it tends to come out quite well as Fay as beer is concerned I have only brewed from kits so far but now want to move to extract and again eventually all grain.

This is providing that all grain produced a better beer the kits I have been doing have been coming out pretty nicely and if doing all grain isn't much different in flavour I am kind of thinking what's the point in putting the extra effort in ??

Have your partial mashes tasted better than a kit ?

I will have a look at that website I looked at the brewmart they are pretty cheap it's just the shipping with them doing a standard £5.50 shipping pushes it back up again it would be good if they did a more tiered system with their shipping.

Justin

Oh and if your interested in the wine my most sucessful so far was rhubarb I have posted the recipe on here if you want it. :)

Justin

It's definitely worth trying out some steeped grain prior to the boil to add some different flavours to a basic extract, rather than relying on purely the hops.

I think my wife would definitely like me to try some wine fermenting, lol. She tends to like dry white wines so should be fairly easy to work something out :)

I'm getting quite a collection of links of mail order sellers. I think I'm going to have to do a very long steep from the rye malt grain by the look of things. Certainly won't get the percentage rye content I want though.

Amos

zeropanic said:
It's definitely worth trying out some steeped grain prior to the boil to add some different flavours to a basic extract, rather than relying on purely the hops.

I think my wife would definitely like me to try some wine fermenting, lol. She tends to like dry white wines so should be fairly easy to work something out :)

I'm getting quite a collection of links of mail order sellers. I think I'm going to have to do a very long steep from the rye malt grain by the look of things. Certainly won't get the percentage rye content I want though.

Amos

The rhubarb comes out very dry my wife is the same she likes dry whites and reds.

The link I sent you the malt extract is pretty cheap there £5 for 1kg is good just bulk order lol.

Justin.

zeropanic said:
Or I just wait till I get myself a mash tun before I try my idea for a Roggenbier, and go AG :)

I have been looking out for a second hand mash tun and can't find one anywhere they're not too cheap new lol.

I get the feeling there aren't many AG brewers in the uk that most just brew from kits because that's mainly what's offered.

That last link I sent you does 25kg bags if grain for a reasonable price :) my other problem is I only live in a two bedroom min terraced and room isn't that great planning in moving next year and hopefully have more room to brew lol.

Have you read John palmers book ?

Justin

No I've not read his book. As for the mash tun, I might end up converting a cool-box myself unless I manage to pick one up cheap on eBay or any of the home-brew forums. I'd love one of the micro-brewery setups from PowellBrewing but they're certainly beyond my pocket, lol.

zeropanic said:
No I've not read his book. As for the mash tun, I might end up converting a cool-box myself unless I manage to pick one up cheap on eBay or any of the home-brew forums. I'd love one of the micro-brewery setups from PowellBrewing but they're certainly beyond my pocket, lol.

Same here lol I will keep looking though. His book is online and you can tea it for free you can learn just about everything you need to know about brewing on there.

I am thinking about maybe converting a cool box too and doing it that way.

Justin

Oh, I tell a lie, I recognise some of the pages from his site so must have been on once or twice, lol.

Depends on how cheap I can get a decent sized cool-box. Wonder how easy it would be to insulate a standard bin and just fit a manifold to that instead?

Amos

zeropanic said:
Oh, I tell a lie, I recognise some of the pages from his site so must have been on once or twice, lol.

Depends on how cheap I can get a decent sized cool-box. Wonder how easy it would be to insulate a standard bin and just fit a manifold to that instead?

Amos

That could work I suppose.

It might be more expensive that way though just look for a cheap cool box in home bargains or somewhere like that its coming up to summer (ish) they should be getting them in soon.

Justin.

I nearly made a big mistake I forgot that US and UK gallons are different I need to adapt the recipe.

I have just got an app that converts it all for you.

Justin.

Yeah, guess we will see some bargain cool-boxes sometime soon, although seems a bit bizarre talking about them what with the recent weather :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the conversion, just apply the same multiplier to all the volume amounts in the recipe :)

Amos

The conversion was easy I have an app called brew pal and when I changed it to metric it told me that the is recipe was only for 18 litres when I changed it to 23 it automatically scaled up all of the ingredients to keep the beer the same :).

Justin.

Brew Pal is for iOS isn't it? I've got BrewR on Android which is compatible with QBrew on PC, but I've been using BrewMate for quite a while and I like that. Switching units of measurement is easy except QBrew which is a fairly basic program. Downloaded BeerSmith2 today, which looks good but unsure yet whether I need the extra functionality and tools at the moment.

Seems like we've gone off-topic a bit ;)

Amos

Lol yeah we have gone slightly off the topic of the thread.

Does this let you send each other messages not on a thread ? It would be good to keep in touch with someone else that's also brewing quite local.

Justin.

image-2013869609.jpg

Back