Help Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is the pic

infection_pic.jpg

toss it in your belly! Rack underneath it, bottle and drink it quickly if it doesnt taste nasty at bottling / kegging.

cmgxsolutions said:
here is the pic

Don't have a ton of experience with this, but the web-like part looks like a wild yeast (Brett) infection to me. Not sure about the mold-like white globs.

It's not the end of the world - if you're feeling adventurous you could let it continue to ferment. I had my first infection with a dogfish punkin' clone and was too invested to toss it - looked exactly like yours. Ended up tasting great - slightly sour and the spices came out nicely. However, it also showed up on secondary, when the beer was acidic and alcoholic and generally resistant to toxic infection.

How long has it been in our fermenter for?

Also, do a search on "infection" and pelecule - lots of good info out there.

If you hate it and want it gone, a more experienced brewer in your area might be willing to trade you for it. Probably not likely, but it never hurts to ask!

It has been in secondary for 1 week. Today my daughter was messing with the airlock and was off all day... could this have developed in 1 day?

Dan

I just racked it and will bottle it asap... it still taste pretty good. I sacraficed the top gallon hopefully the infection doesn't regrow. Thanks for the advice.

Dan

cmgxsolutions said:
I just racked it and will bottle it asap... it still taste pretty good. I sacraficed the top gallon hopefully the infection doesn't regrow. Thanks for the advice.

Dan

I don't suppose you checked the gravity on that before you bottled it? The "other" risk with infection is that beers can ferment much lower than expected (e.g. Bottle bombs). Worst case you might have to pop the tops, let off a little CO2 and recap. No need to do it now ... Just keep an eye on the bottles and try one periodically to make sure they're not getting over carbed.

I just bottled it last night. It was at 1.011... after I racked it sat for a day and nothing else grew. It smells good and tastes good. I also bottled a 1l plastic bottle to give me a bit of an indication of co2

Back