Melomel Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
When my blueberry Mel was half-way fermented, I tasted it and it had a wonderful blueberry flavor. Then when it finished fermenting, the nice sweet flavor changed to a very tart flavor. I used sweet mead yeast, but it still ended dry and tart.

Any thoughts on this? Should I have added the fruit in the secondary? I'm thinking of adding lactose for sweetness now.

I think you did the right thing- even adding fruit in the secondary would cause it to fully ferment to dry. Is it clear and basically ready to bottle, except for the tart taste? If it is, you can stabilize with campden and potassium sorbate (rack into it and let it sit for a couple of days) and then use blueberry juice and/or sugar to taste. I'd keep it airlocked for a week or so, just to ensure fermentation has truly stopped. Then you can bottle.

Long answer;

Aging will really improve the flavour! Do it.

steve

jaybird said:
even longer answer
Mine has been in temp control for 3 years and almost ready to drink... ALMOST
JJ

Well, if that's the Barkshack's Gingermead, it needs to be aged! (Man, I need to try that recipe!)

steve

skou said:
Well, if that's the Barkshack's Gingermead, it needs to be aged! (Man, I need to try that recipe!)

steve
it is and YA I would give it about 4 years to really get good. I added rasberrys to it and really wish I hadent. but you live and learn.
JJ

Back