Whiskey Oak Chips in a Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrosglycerin

Reaction score
Does anyone have advise on adding whiskey soaked oak chips to a Barleywine secondary?
I've soaked 4oz. of light toast oak chips in whiskey for 4 weeks. The Barleywine will have an approximate OG of 1.130 and an ABV over 11%. First yeast pitching will be a trappist and then I will re-pitch with a champagne yeast to finish it off a week or so later once transfered into the secondary. I plan on leaving the secondary to rest for about 4 months and bottle condition for an additional 4-6 months.

My questions:
(1)How long can I leave the chips in the secondary?
(2)Will the chips make a noticable difference in flavor?
(3)Does the whiskey within the chips increase ABV beyond what the ingredients are doing or is it more of a flavor additive/enhancer?
(4)Any recommendations on aging temperatures (secondary and bottle)?

Thanks in advance!

My tip for you is to use a lesser amount of chips first. I would hate if a barley wine, that took months to make, came out with one flavor dominating. Use an ounce or 2 for month before you bottle. If you take a sample two weeks later and you want more oak flavor then you can throw the other ounce or two in. The whiskey should not make a difference as long as you don't dump the excess bourbon in. the warmer you condition the more flavor you''ll receive.
Also, oak flavor diminishes with more time in bottles, just like hops aroma.

Back