Off flavor in my BM Centennial Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
What a bummer. Looks great in the glass and smells great too. However, when you taste it there is a bit of a sour/citrus flavor to it. Nearest I can describe is it tastes like when you go and bite into an orange with the peel still on. Not nearly that powerful but the same sort of puckery flavor. This particular ale is supposed to be a rather quick turnaround from grain to glass so I'm not sure how much hope there is that this will mellow out a bit and let the actual beer flavor shine through.

It's an all-grain kegged 5 gallon brew. I did deal with 2 problems that may have caused this. The first being that I ordered and received my pre-crushed grain a good 30 plus days before actually getting around to brewing it. Kept it in the fridge though in it's original packaging from Austin. Not sure if the aging of the pre-crushed grain may have lended something.

My biggest problem, however, happened just as I was going to put my fermenter into my temp controlled chest freezer. The darn thing broke down. I was forced to keep it in my air conditioned bedroom for the first 3 days of fermentation, which is pretty much the end of primary fermentation. Probably didn't get any cooler than 70 I should think but it was sometimes warmer like 75.

So is there any chance of this one recovering or am I pretty much going to bite the bullet, or the orange in this case, and drink it up with some soury notes? It is definitely drinkable just not what it should have turned out to be.

I have the same citrus taste in my recent batch, although mine was extract and temp controlled at 62

I used exactly what was called for in the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Nottingham

I had a very vigorous fermentation going on in under 8 hours. I mean it was swirling and moving around in my carboy like nutty. I can't see how an infection would have survived through that to be honest plus I am very careful with cleaning/sanitizing.

I fermented in the primary for 3 weeks, no secondary. It had the citrus taste right out of the primary. It didn't develop in the keg. It seemes to have actually gotten better than when I first kegged it so I guess I'll just try it again in a week. If it's the same then I'll just drink it as is. Like I said, it is definitely drinkable just not what I was hoping for.

It's most likely from the hops that have that grapefruit like flavor. Some,like Nugget,will produce a bitter orange flavor. My IPA tastes like that now,but was only 12 days in the bottle as of Monday. Yesterday,good carbonation,but small head & that citrus tartness. It's so odd that hops with citrus flavors coming from them have that same bitter citrus thing that the actual fruit does. That's most likely what you're tasting. It'll need time to finish rounding out all the flavors.

Back