Locating bulkhead on ribbed Rubbermaid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Okay, stop giggling and consider this as a serious question: The ubiquitous Rubbermaid coolers have ribbed exterior shells which doesn't make for a very good mating surface (haha) for bulkheads (assume the spigot is already occupied by the lautering bulkhead). I want to mount a thermowell bulkhead a little up on the side but don't want my mash running down the side of the MLT. Anyone else tackle this puzzle? Could you use some Liquid Wood to fashion a molded flat-surface and drill through it? It doesn't necessarily need to adhere to the MLT, just make a decent enough seal where the surfaces meet.

Pol has a pretty cool means to mount a metal thermometer probe with a rubber stopper, i'm just looking for a more permanent way.

I thought that the cooler conversions for therms only had a seal on the inside of the cooler for that very reason.

Pol

I see, some do have a seal on the outside... hrmm that is a good question! See, the rubber stopper is easier and $40 cheaper :D I know, some like it fancy.

Pol

The Pol said:
I see, some do have a seal on the outside... hrmm that is a good question! See, the rubber stopper is easier and $40 cheaper :D I know, some like it fancy.

Pol

Actually the more I look at your setup the more I think it's at least as good if not better for this kind of cooler. Just replace the thermometer probe with the thermowell and cinch down (gently) on both sides with compression fittings. Good point by fifelee in your thread about sealing the foam between the shells; I was wondering about that myself.

I don't like the designs that require an outside seal because it assumes the liquid can get inside the wall of the cooler. If that's not the case, there's no need for an outer seal.

Latest posts

Back