Safale 04 or 05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between using Safale 04 or 05 for an IPA that we will be brewing on the 16th. I posted the original idea for the recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chinese-ipa-236416/
Some things have changed since the first posting as I will adding most of the hops at the last 20 minutes of the boil, changed the hops being used and reduced the mash temp. Now I need to figure out which yeast to use. I've read the product info from Fermentis for both strains and still can't figure out which to use. Suggestions welcome.

I like both. Depending on fermentation temps, you could get a very "clean" beer with either. So4 leaves a clearer beer, at least initially, as it is more flocculant. At 64 degrees or so, it's "clean" tasting but if you get up to 66-68 and above, it gets very "English" tasting and a bit fruity.

So5 stays clean up to 72-73 degrees. It's more neutral, and doesn't have a fruitiness to it like S04 can.

I use them both in IPAs, depending on my goals and my fermentation temperature.

What are you aiming for in the final product? S-04 is an English yeast strain and would probably be better in a traditional IPA. I think it has a somewhat nutty flavor, but I could be wrong. US-05 is an American yeast strain and would probably be better in American IPA's.

What are you aiming for in the final product? S-04 is an English yeast strain and would probably be better in a traditional IPA. I think it has a somewhat nutty flavor, but I could be wrong. US-05 is an American yeast strain and would probably be better in American IPA's.

Thanks Yooper - some good insight there.

Beninan - we are calling it a Chinese IPA, but only due to the majority of malt being Chinese 2 row pale and the incorporation of qingdoa flower hops for aroma - and it is being brewed with Chinese water!
We are looking to do a more traditional IPA at the beginning of the summer - with English hops, so might use the 04 there and try out the 05 for this batch as this batch will be more "Americanized" than the next.

Thanks for the insight guys.

beerspitnight said:
Thanks Yooper - some good insight there.

Beninan - we are calling it a Chinese IPA, but only due to the majority of malt being Chinese 2 row pale and the incorporation of qingdoa flower hops for aroma - and it is being brewed with Chinese water!
We are looking to do a more traditional IPA at the beginning of the summer - with English hops, so might use the 04 there and try out the 05 for this batch as this batch will be more "Americanized" than the next.

Thanks for the insight guys.

How does an American find a Chinese product?

I'd go with 05 myself, as I like an IPA to be a bit dryer than 04 seems to get me.

As an aside, didn't you say you'd be letting this sit for a few months? It would seem to me that late additions would largely fade out with a bit of aging.

lschiavo said:
Really? I'll check that out sometime.

You should. "Great Value" hops is one of my favs! Yeast is on aisle 13 right next to the tires and the grains are in the electronics section! :)

Seriously though, along with the Chinese theme, we have a local brewery here that did a wasabi cream ale. It was crazy, really cleared your sinuses...

As an aside, didn't you say you'd be letting this sit for a few months? It would seem to me that late additions would largely fade out with a bit of aging.

That will be the Export IPA that we will be brewing at the beginning of the summer - using English hops and the S-04 (copy that Bull). That will sit for 55 or 60 days in the keg.

This is a quicker turn around IPA - need to get more experience under our belt and this "Chinese IPA" is using ingredients that we can currently get over here with ease and relatively cheaply. And I think we'll go with the 05!

naterzr2-
Wasabi Cream Ale huh? Sounds interesting - and a good excuse to eat sushi!

lschiavo-
If you go on alibita you can find a ton of suppliers of qingdao flower hops - although it looks like you need to buy 100 metric tons or so at a time!

If you are interested in getting your hands on the qingdao flower hops, I can try to remember to take some back to The States with me this summer and ship them over to you if you are keen to do some kind of swap.

naterzr2 said:
You should. "Great Value" hops is one of my favs! Yeast is on aisle 13 right next to the tires and the grains are in the electronics section! :)

Seriously though, along with the Chinese theme, we have a local brewery here that did a wasabi cream ale. It was crazy, really cleared your sinuses...

Wasabi is the schitz. I think I would like that beer.

What does Chinese water taste like? I want to know.

We only drink and brew bottled water, so I'm not sure what it tastes like. But if you boil the tap water there is usually a strange white-ish coating around the pot after the water boils off...

We only drink and brew bottled water, so I'm not sure what it tastes like. But if you boil the tap water there is usually a strange white-ish coating around the pot after the water boils off...

That is an additive but it's safe. They even put it in baby formula.

Back