All grain in one Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon Boilermaker Brew kettle with a false bottom and built in Thermomoter and dump valve...

I am making the transition to all grain brewing and would like to be able to use my current equipment.

My "thoughts" are this and hopefully some of you more experienced brewmasters out there can enlighten me?

1. Heat up 1.25 quarts of water per lb of grain (also add a bit more to fill in the false bottom)
2. Heat water up to 163ish and add grain to get to 150-152 degrees
3. Stir to dough in and let sit.
4. Add small amounts of direct on and off heat and stir if temp drops too much
5. Mash for 60 min
6. drain wort into clean bucket until clear and dump cloudy back on top of grain
7. Sparge with 170 degree water until I get a total wort volume of 6 to 6.5 gal
8. Dump grain and rinse out. Pour wort from bucket back into kettle
8. Proceded with boil hops etc just as you would with a extract recipie.

Temperature and burning is my main concern. I have read where you can manually dump and pour back in wort while you add heat so it circulates that false bottom work and brings the temp up. Or maybe constant stirring while heat is on will be good enough?

I could go buy a cooler and do the mash in a cooler but sicne I already have the kettle with false bottom so I was hoping to make it work....

Any suggestions to fool proofing this type of set up?

Burning shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let it get too hot. Lots of people do similar techniques. Look at the brew in a bag threads. You're trying to do the same thing but with a false bottom instead of a bag.

I brew in a bag all the time. I've found that once you hit your target temp very little heat is needed to maintain it.

Back