Surly Furious clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, head-to-head tests done tonight.

The homebrewed version is a bit darker, and the Surly has a floral note in the aroma that is missing in the homebrewed version.

Maltiness is similar, the flavor is very similar. But it's NOT cloned.

I see you think flavor was similar but...was it maybe sweetness? I remember the Surly tasing a bit sweet (which made the impression) and an IPA everywhere else.

I see you think flavor was similar but...was it maybe sweetness? I remember the Surly tasing a bit sweet (which made the impression) and an IPA everywhere else.

Well, it definitely is malty. But last night, I stuck my nose in my glass and got a distinct floral aroma. The "real" Surly wasn't all that fresh, as I hauled it home from Minneapolis in August and it was the last of my hoard, but there was a distinct floral aroma that I usually associate with centennial hops along with the citrus.

This beer is only 19 days old, but I can't stop drinking it!

Scary isn't it? I'm brewing it again Monday. On my way to MN on Wednesday and will pick up some comparators. Trying to decide if I will do so much at FO....

I'm loving the CaraMunich, though. I don't like the Aromatic in mine that I did my last batch.

Dave

Well, Here's what I did..and it's darn close:
Malt bill:
69% Golden Promise
11% Crystal 60
18% Munich
2% Aromatic
Mash 158 degrees.
Hop Bill:
Summit 90min FWH 44IBU
Warrior 50min 33IBU
Simcoe 20min 8.8IBU
Amarillo 20min 6IBU
Simcoe 10min 5.2IBU
Amarillo 10min 3.6IBU
Simcoe 5min 2.9IBU
Amarillo 5min 2.0 IBU
Total 106 IBUs
Atahnum 1oz at flameout
OG=1.067
Ferment at 65 degrees with Denny's Favorite 50
FG=1.020
Dryhop 1oz Warrior+1oz Ahtanum+1oz Amarillo+.5oz Simcoe all for 7days
Dryhop 1oz Simcoe and additional 3 days. Cold crash 3 days with Simcoe and keg.

This was a real crowd pleaser at a party last night. I had folks compare side by side with the real thing (perhaps a month older or more than my clone) and results were favorable. Most thought it was very similar but liked the clone better. I attribute this mainly to freshness. There were significant differences though. Clone was slightly lighter in color and slightly more cloudy (forgot the gelatin finings). Also the clone was slightly less bitter (which is another reason many may have liked it better than the real thing. Aroma was more Simcoe/cat piss dominent in the clone than the real Furious. Finally mouth feel was much thinner with the real thing.

All in all I'm very pleased. I think with a couple tweaks of the above recipe it would be super close. 1) Mash lower temp-maybe 151-152. Furious is dry and light on the tongue. 2) Use all Warrior for bittering and put it at sixty minutes. Eliminate the summit-it gave a hint of onion in the first couple tastings that passed after a week on CO2 but I don't think it added anything positive. 3) Add a bit more Crystal 60 to darken/sweeten slightly more 4) Add Atahnum 1oz to the last 3 day dryhop in addition to the 1oz Simcoe.

Well, that's my .02. Even though it's not the real thing the beer I made is delicious. It's been great to have the real deal around to compare it to. Still have 3 cans in the fridge but man, the real thing on tap is were it's at. Too bad Minnesota is lost under a snow drift or I might think about heading back for Christmas...
Tony

Congratulations! Sounds like a real success.

I started fermenting mine a bit cool in the basement (~50-55F). Slow initial fermentation. Might finish a bit high.

Got some Furious in MN when I was there, too. Cans dated 11/18. This batch from them was a bit drier than I had before (from memory). I like a bit more mouthfeel, but I think 158 may be a bit high.

I just racked one of the 2 carboys over and DH'd it to make Xmas timing, but will stay with the other a bit longer.

Dave

Yeah, I didn't intend to mash at 158 I just overshot my 154 target and desided to go with it. It had been so long since I had Furious I thought maybe part of the magic was mashing high....turns out it's not.

i made the BYO clone w/ S-04 dry yeast. mashed high on accident (156). will start dry hop when i can.
i have only had one Furious (thanks Yoop!). id like to taste it again, and see how mine compares.

So I brewed this clone on a recommendation without ever tasting the original. I just had a four pack bootlegged into WI and... WOW! It was good. My clone was waaaaaay darker (almost a black IPA) and the hop nose is very pine-y. But wow it is good. Definitely my favorite non-clone clone.

Brewed my 18 gllon batch of this 2 weeks ago. Pithched Nottingham in half and S-05 in half. I like the Nottingham better now, but haven't dry hopped. Doing that this weekend before the big game. I kept the base and put my own trwist on it. Man is it a great brew. I've never had the real thing. I can see this getting brewed frequently. Fermented @ 64 and they were @ 1.015 in 4 days, down from 1.064. Wish I had one of the real things for a side by side. Recommended recipe to anyone that is looking for something different than the normal ipa. Thanks for the thread!

I've done this recipe twice since the first, and I haven't tweaked it at all to taste more like the original- since I love it as is!

I used S04 once, and didn't like it as much. It finished much higher (about 1.020, I believe) and while very good I like the Wyeast 1335 better.

I'm making this again tomorrow, just as originally written.

Surly professes to use WLP007, additionaly they dry hop WAY more then most recipes I have seen use. When scaled back to a 5 gallon recipe it is about 8 oz per five gallons. Pretty awesome.

Im assuming everyone in this thread realizes you can download the EXACT recipe for Fury, as well as other Surly brews strait from the Northern Brewer website? Fun to look back at all the attemps at a 'clone' to see how close people got to the real recipe though.

Im assuming everyone in this thread realizes you can download the EXACT recipe for Fury, as well as other Surly brews strait from the Northern Brewer website? Fun to look back at all the attemps at a 'clone' to see how close people got to the real recipe though.

Sure to a point, but the dry hops are listed as "Furious Dry Hop Blend"

I have made the NB recipe a few times now... the grain bill is really a great base for experimenting with different hop combinations.

Just purchased the all grain version of this kit from NB and will be brewing it next weekend. Haven't ever had the original so I won't be able to compare, but very interested to try it. Anyone had both the original and this kit and how did they compare? Planning on using the WLP007 - one of my house yeast favorites and appears to be what Surly uses anyway.

Just purchased the all grain version of this kit from NB and will be brewing it next weekend. Haven't ever had the original so I won't be able to compare, but very interested to try it. Anyone had both the original and this kit and how did they compare? Planning on using the WLP007 - one of my house yeast favorites and appears to be what Surly uses anyway.

How'd you order the kit? They've supposedly been out of it for a week plus and then pulled it from the site today because they were out of Simcoe hops, I believe... My buddy has been waiting to order and I think he's finally going to base his off the kit instructions they provided and come up with the dryhop blend on his own.

Very strange - found it via web search yesterday and it processed my order fine. Usually they won't let you order a back order item but haven't got a shipping confirmation either. Used brewsaver ground, so wasn't expecting anything until Monday but will give them a call to find out status.

This is an awesome beer! Its the only beer I've ever had a bartender offer to sell me on the down-low. I guess I was gushing over it a little bit and he thought I might pay big for it, as the availability really is limited.

Thanks so much for the link - I'm going to order straight away!

I can't speak for the kit being offered still, but when I brewed this a month ago they told me that the only way you could get Simcoe hops through NB was to buy the kit, which is a blend of hops.

Anyways, I've had the original and the two kits sold by NB (Shirley Furioso and the more recent Pro Series kit) and if I were to brew it again, I'd back off on the roasted barley/dark malt or add it only to the sparge if doing all-grain. Found it a bit roastier and darker than the canned version. That's really the only tweak I'd make!

I have a similar recipe that I will follow but I have a more general question. The recipe I have is for 5 gallons, but if I were to simply increase the malt so that I get 5.5 gallons instead but do not increase the hop amounts am I going to see a noticeable difference?

I have a similar recipe that I will follow but I have a more general question. The recipe I have is for 5 gallons, but if I were to simply increase the malt so that I get 5.5 gallons instead but do not increase the hop amounts am I going to see a noticeable difference?

Maybe. You're increasing the malt bill by 10%, so you may want to increase the hops by 10%. 10% isn't a lot, so you may not care though.

Back