Surly Furious clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed this recipe:

9 lbs 8.0 oz Golden Promise
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt
1 lbs Caramunich Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
1.00 oz Summit [18.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (20 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (20 min)
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (20 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (10 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (10 min)
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (10 min)
1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) (With a starter)

2.00 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop 7 days)

I have a grand total of ONE Furious on hand, so I can see how close this is. It seems weird to have such a hoppy American IPA have British yeast, and golden promise malt, but I tried it. The recipe came from several sources- Beeradvocate, Surly's own website, and other "google" finds. I hope it come out as well as I expect!

I brewed yesterday, and the beer is sitting right next to me gently bubbling at 66 degrees. (It's cold in here, by the way! I miss summer already!)

Looks like a hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy um hoppy ale. Definately not a malt driven beer. What is Golden Promise? I mean what does it add as opposed to 2-row pale?

But the real reason I responded is it is 68 in the house, and after living in Fl. for 20 yrs, I am ready for spring. Hate the idea of turning on the heat.

Looks like a hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, hoppy um hoppy ale. Definately not a malt driven beer. What is Golden Promise? I mean what does it add as opposed to 2-row pale?

But the real reason I responded is it is 68 in the house, and after living in Fl. for 20 yrs, I am ready for spring. Hate the idea of turning on the heat.

It's in the low 60s in my house, but I pitched at 66 and it's now at 68.

Golden Promise is much like maris otter, in my opinion. I've only used it a couple of times before, but when I talked to the owner of Surly back in June, he told me it was an integral part of the beer's profile. Who am I to argue? So I gave it a try.

BYO had a Surly clone that I just bought ingredients for. It was listed as extract and so when I converted it to all-grain I left the base malt as 2-row. Wish I had realized it used Golden Promise for the base malt.

The grain bill and hop schedule are a little different but it's pretty much the same idea as yours.

Uses the Simcoe and Ahtanum at the end. Warrior in place of the summit. Same yeast as you have listed.

I hope to be able to get it brewed in the next couple weeks.

I'll try to remember to update this thread with the outcome! The fermenter is right next to me here in the home office, so it's easy to keep an eye on it!

I live in Milnnesota so if you need any more Furious to compare let me know. I may have tto try this one soon.

Might have to try this recipe. I went back home to Minnesota over the summer and we couldnt get Surly Furious in the Southeastern part of the state. It was rather disappointing.
Good to know about the Golden Promise.

I'm curious about the 60 minute addition of cascade. Not the usual bittering hop! What is the logic behind that addition? Also, I'm surprised there are no latter additions after 10minutes-it's such a hoppy beer I would have thought flameout or near flameout hops would be crucial. Not being critical at all, just want to hear from the master before I brew it myself as written in the OP. Thanks Yooper!

I'm curious about the 60 minute addition of cascade. Not the usual bittering hop! What is the logic behind that addition? Also, I'm surprised there are no latter additions after 10minutes-it's such a hoppy beer I would have thought flameout or near flameout hops would be crucial. Not being critical at all, just want to hear from the master before I brew it myself as written in the OP. Thanks Yooper!

My logic for using cascade? Well, I have over three pounds of cascades, for one thing!

I agree that there should be more aroma/flame out hops, but I'm going to try doing it like this and then use three ounces of hops for dryhopping.

Almost all of my IPAs are loaded up with hops in the last 10 minutes, so this is a big departure for me!

Golden Promise is my favorite base malt and will work well for this. A group of us locals brewed enough of the BYO Surly clone to fill a 55 gal. bourbon barrel. We filled it about a month ago and will let it go for a few months. We'll individually dry hop after we draw our portions.

Northern Brewer also sells a clone kit.

I'll try to remember to update this thread with the outcome! The fermenter is right next to me here in the home office, so it's easy to keep an eye on it!
Very nice! There is nothing better than the aroma of fermenting beer while getting your work done.:D I'll be starting an IPA tomorrow, I hope, from a recipe Reelale sent me. Hope it turns out good for you.....

Golden Promise is my favorite base malt and will work well for this. A group of us locals brewed enough of the BYO Surly clone to fill a 55 gal. bourbon barrel. We filled it about a month ago and will let it go for a few months. We'll individually dry hop after we draw our portions.

Northern Brewer also sells a clone kit.

Oooh, make sure you update us on how it comes out. That sounds like a great brewday!

I like the way you think and the way you drink Yooper. I'm going to use your grainbill and play around with the hop bill a bit (considering I don't have more than a couple ounces of cascade on hand...) When you talked to the Surly brewer did he say Ahtanum was used in the kettle or just dry hop?
Tony

I like the way you think and the way you drink Yooper. I'm going to use your grainbill and play around with the hop bill a bit (considering I don't have more than a couple ounces of cascade on hand...) When you talked to the Surly brewer did he say Ahtanum was used in the kettle or just dry hop?
Tony

He wouldn't say. He just smiled and nodded when I asked certain questions. He wasn't the brewer, though- he was the owner. I don't know if he creates the recipes/brews or not- I didn't think to ask! :drunk:

I guess I'd play my cards pretty close to my chest also if I were sitting on that goldmine. I think he does brew though. Read it on the Surly website. Might tour there when I'm back in Minny just to taste it at its freshest. Maybe I can get some info as well...

He wouldn't say. He just smiled and nodded when I asked certain questions. He wasn't the brewer, though- he was the owner. I don't know if he creates the recipes/brews or not- I didn't think to ask! :drunk:

I sat in on the 'Starting Your Own Brewery' panel at NHC and Omar was pretty clear that he doesn't have too much to do with the brewing end of things. That's not to say that he's not familiar with his own beers, of course.

I sat in on the 'Starting Your Own Brewery' panel at NHC and Omar was pretty clear that he doesn't have too much to do with the brewing end of things. That's not to say that he's not familiar with his own beers, of course.

Yeah, that's the impression I got, but I didn't ask him that straight out. We were drinking at the time.

I kegged this today. It's flat, young, and uncarbonated. OMG- it's good! I will wait a few days and do a head-to-head with the real Furious.

I already ordered the ingredients for a 10 gallon batch of this!

Can't get Furious here, what temp did mash? Sounds like an awesome beer. So many great northern beers and we don't get them. That's why we brew right? Keep us posted

I noticed on their web site that they list aromatic malt. Is there a reason you didn't use it? I'm looking forward to hearing your final opinion on this beer.

I noticed on their web site that they list aromatic malt. Is there a reason you didn't use it? I'm looking forward to hearing your final opinion on this beer.

No, no reason. I actually bought the aromatic, but didn't use it. Brain fart, I guess.

Even though this beer is very young, I thought we'd taste test it tonight! :ban:

I mashed at 153 and the FG is 1.012.

I didn't yet do the head-to-head. I only have one can left, and this homebrew is still too "fresh" tasting. Not green, really, but the dryhops are a bit overwhelming. I think another day or two will help.

This beer is only 19 days old, but I can't stop drinking it!

Good to hear. Furious is my favorite beer, it's just fantastic. I have a Furious clone extract kit that's in the secondary and I'm hoping it'll be good.

Way to go Yooper! Way to hit it out of the park on the first swing! Let us know if you change it at all when you scale it to 10 gallons. Just a couple weeks before I'm in the Cities buying up all the furious that will fit in my trunk! (Won't be much due to luggage of wife and two daughters.....)

Way to go Yooper! Way to hit it out of the park on the first swing! Let us know if you change it at all when you scale it to 10 gallons. Just a couple weeks before I'm in the Cities buying up all the furious that will fit in my trunk! (Won't be much due to luggage of wife and two daughters.....)

I think I'm going to keep it the same, unless I detect some big differences. Even if it's not "cloned", it's really a great beer!

Bob told me that lschiavo (a member here) came over yesterday afternoon while I was at work, and he really liked it too.

I made something very similar with a friend earlier this year and had never dryhopped with 3 oz before. Strangely, fermentation kicked up again and all I could do was worry about all the aroma I was losing through the airlock. Apart from the water additions I made and some astringency that judges picked up on, we thought this was a very good beer, definitely worth repeating.

Any idea where the astringency would come from? How dark is your beer Yooper?

I had Denny Conn's Wry smile IPA on the docket to brew tomorrow but I'm leaning towards trying this recipe instead. No British ale yeast within driving distance though. Any thoughts on how this would be using Denny's favorite 50 or s-05? Or should I go ahead with the Wrypa? Thanks?

I think I'm going to keep it the same, unless I detect some big differences. Even if it's not "cloned", it's really a great beer!

Bob told me that lschiavo (a member here) came over yesterday afternoon while I was at work, and he really liked it too.

I did and thought is was very good. It has been a while since I tried the Surly so I can't say how your matches up. I will be interested to hear how the side by side tasting goes. This one is on my brew list now.

I had Denny Conn's Wry smile IPA on the docket to brew tomorrow but I'm leaning towards trying this recipe instead. No British ale yeast within driving distance though. Any thoughts on how this would be using Denny's favorite 50 or s-05? Or should I go ahead with the Wrypa? Thanks?

Hmmm. I love Denny's Favorite- that's my, um, favorite. I'd use that- it seems like that yeast strain enhances the malt AND the hops both, just what this recipe has going for it.

I made something very similar with a friend earlier this year and had never dryhopped with 3 oz before. Strangely, fermentation kicked up again and all I could do was worry about all the aroma I was losing through the airlock. Apart from the water additions I made and some astringency that judges picked up on, we thought this was a very good beer, definitely worth repeating.

Any idea where the astringency would come from? How dark is your beer Yooper?

It's pretty dark- I dunno for sure since I'm at work now but I'd guess it's 12-13 SRMish?

Quote: Did you actually see a drop in gravity? I'd bet that the hops just kicked some more CO2 out of solution. I've been wrong before, though.

At 7 days in primary, I was at 1.021. 9 days later it fell 1 point. I racked to secondary and dryhopped on the same day. After 9 days of dryhopping the SG was 1.015. I thought I had a healthy pitch of Nottingham used from a previous batch whose fermentation went fine. It wasn't the case of the bad Notty, but then, maybe it was.

I think from now on I might wait a day or two after racking to secondary before adding the hops, or keg hop. The rouse must have done it because temperature did not change.

tdoft, you'll be fine with either yeast.

Yooper...I entered mine in a non-BJCP event in a wide open IPA contest in May. "Too dark!" Winner was a smaller version of Pliny the Elder. Styles...:drunk:

Oooh, make sure you update us on how it comes out. That sounds like a great brewday!
I will, with some pics. I think our group was talking about taking it out of the barrel in mid-January, but that might change. I'll dry hop it for 2-3 weeks, remove the hops, then let it lager for another month before serving. If the January date holds, it'll be March, 2011 before I report back!:rolleyes::)

Ok, head-to-head tests done tonight.

The homebrewed version is a bit darker, and the Surly has a floral note in the aroma that is missing in the homebrewed version.

Maltiness is similar, the flavor is very similar. But it's NOT cloned.

And the game goes on.....I. brewed this on Wed with some small changes. LHBS didn't have caramunich so I ended up using 1.5 lbs of crystal 60 (yikes too much I'm afraid). I added 4ounces of aromatic and subtracted the black patent. Mashed high at around 157. I FWH summit for 90, added a 60min addition of warrior and kept the middle additions of simcoe and amarillo the same but added a 5 min addition of simcoe and amarillo. I eliminated the atahnum additions from the boil but did a full ounce at flame out. Pitched with Denny (and Yooper's!) Fav. Will dry hop with 2 oz simcoe, 1 oz amarillo and one oz ahtanum. Will probably turn out to be a decent winter version...a bit sweeter and darker than the real thing due to high mash temp and crystal content. I'll post back head to head in a few weeks!

Back