Son of Fermentation Chiller x2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
Maybe I should call it Fermentation Chiller's siamese twins?

Anyway, I was going to make 2 of the regular ones, but then I realized that I could just build one bigger one, making ice switches easier, and if I isolated the chambers with separate fans/thermostats I could have 2 different temps. This is what I came up with:
IMG_20100818_122006.jpg

It's been in test mode for the last day and a half and the wheat on the right is chugging along at 70 while the porter on the left is holding steady at 66. I'm sure that I would have more problems if I were to try a bigger temperature differential, but we'll see when it comes time to cold crash. I think I'll put a bucket of water in one side and check the temps while the other gets chilled. Also, I put the fans in the very bottom of the divider wall. I need to add an air dam between them and the ice chambers, but other than that the thing has been a total success.

I know there was another thread on temp probe placement, but I figured that once the system is dialed I can adjust the temp at the thermostats to provide a nice steady carboy temp, it may just have to be a few deg lower to compensate for heat evolution.

That's awesome,

I was contemplating doing something similar, but sill ended up building the single chamber.

I don't think you're going to have problems with a large delta of temperatures . I just think you are going to be switching ice more often.

So, I put a 4" high airdam around the fans a couple hours ago. My immediate observation is the fan on the warm side runs more often now. I'm pretty sure that the airdam is decreasing convection currents, where before the cold air was able to spill into the fermentation chambers. I've also noticed that there is a ton of condensation puddling around the ice bottles. I caulked all the seams, so I'm not worried about it leaking, but I also don't want it just sitting there. I found some glad containers to set the water bottles in. Hopefully this will make it easy to remove most of the condensation. How does everyone else deal with the water issue?

I use cold packs now instead of water. They last longer, don't expand, and seem to produce les s condensation. For the remaining condensation, I put towels under them.

Latest posts

Back