Sierra Nevada 'Life and Limb' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I just picked up a bottle of the new Sierra Nevada 'Life and Limb' ale today. It is a collaborative effort of both Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head breweries. I can't believe I paid ten bucks for the 24oz bottle but it looks to be a very special beer. The standard SN 24oz declares a whopping 10.2 ABV which puts it into the barleywine zone. The label says that the beer is a 'living' beer that is naturally carbonated and contains the syrup of both Maple and Birch trees. The unique label shows a drawing of a tree of life which is adorned with a banner that reads "Life and Limb" The tree is tapped with a typical maple tree sap tap which is dripping with sap. Below the sap tap is a barrel. The tree is decorated with flowers, a hummingbird,hop cones, a quail, a chicken, butterfly, dragonfly, an acoustic guitar and mugs of beer held by hands. Behind the tree are pointy volcanic looking mountains and a sea below containing fish and a shark. The roots of the tree complete the scene by wrapping around the poetic description of the ale within.
I'm anxious to try this beer now but will probly wait till Christmas week. If any of you guys try it before then I would like to hear your opinion.

I'm headed to a local pub tomorrow night with some guys to try this along with the Limb and Life (second runnings of the Life and Limb). If nobody speaks up, I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.

I'm dying to get my hands on that. Definitely post your reviews on here guys. Beerbeque you were describing the label. I can honestly say it's the best beer label design I've seen. Here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brookston/4099524245/

Sam Calagione also mentioned he will be doing an upcoming collaboration with Victory and Stone. I can only imagine...

I had some on tap at SN, and it was truly yummy.

I had the Limb and Life with dinner and the Life and Limb for dessert.

I had a sampler of SNs Barleywine the night before and definitely enjoyed LnL more. The added complexity from the maple made the beer, IMHO.

SWMBO and I just got back from the Horse Brass here in PDX where they tapped a keg of each tonight. Servings were in "half pint" glasses (10 oz). Life was $5.25/half and Limb was $3.50 I believe. Anyway. Wasn't a big fan of the Life. I could detect some astringent/taniney type flavors and it just felt a little limp. The Life was great! SWMBO and I got two of those. I honestly couldn't tell it was a 10%abv beer. Smooth, a little sweet, but seemed very well balanced. Just hope we can get some bottles here soon.

That is one of the raddest labels ever. I'm so jealous......maybe having to take a trip to Nevada to get some.

I just tried it last night for the first time. I didn't know much about it, and it was much darker that I had expected. I liked it quite a bit, but thought it was a little overpriced at $10/bottle . Quite a bit of roasted malt flavor, and a hint of maple syrup sweetness. Had I not read the label, I probably would have guessed the ABV at around 7% or 8%, not 10.2%

I had one bottle the other night and saved another for Turkey Day. I thought the beer was nice but tasted heavily influenced by Dogfish. Reminded me of Dogfish's Palo Santo Marron. Dark and smooth like a Scotch Ale.

I can't wait to taste this brew when I head up to Nor Cal in the next few weeks! Hopefully I can find a Bomber or two and compare the tap/draft.

According to the latest issue of Zymurgy, the small beer is only going to be on tap, so don't waste time looking for it.

Life & Limb will be on tap at the Tap & Mallet here in Rochester on December 3rd. No idea if Limb & Life will be out this way at some point.

Grabbed a bottle the other day here in Jor-Jaw...

Good beer... Prolly won't spend that much on another bottle unless another tasting party shows up around here...

Been trying to find this anywhere in Seattle, Wa. Got word they were only sending kegs this far north, tried to grab a few bottles. Anyone have a tip on how I can find a location serving it?

Guy at the beer store on 45th gave me misinformation. Scored 3 bottles tonight at the PCC fremont. They only received 2 cases and expect To be out soon.

As the original poster of this thread, here is my review of Life and limb Ale.
I bought this 24oz bottle of Life and limb ale 5 weeks ago and paid $10 for it. This beer pours dark brown but I can still see through it so it's not as dark as the average Porter but it's darker than the average brown ale. It has a dense brown rocky head but not as dark colored as a Porter or Stout. At first sip, the bitter hops are immediately felt on the tongue and upon swallowing I taste a considerable sweetness that reminds me of figs or raisins. It is a huge beer for sure but I would never have guessed that it is more than 8% ABV. It is so smooth and well balanced. This beer reminds me of a Belgian Dubbel but without the spices, candi and yeast of Belgians. A masterpiece by some of the most artistic brewers in America, I think I'll get another bottle to lay down for a year or two.

Back