Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had to put our last one down 3 years ago. Kafer, 13yr Black lab golden retriever mix.
img_0259-63595.jpg

But now we finally moved to a larger house and have somewhat settled in, so we decided to get a new addition. Really missed having a dog.

Kirin, 4mo lab/retriever mix.
kirin-63593.jpg

imag0616-63594.jpg

We now have a large lot and we're thinking about an e-fence (can not put up a traditional fence and a tie down seems to get in the way). Anyone have a recommendation or pros/cons about them?

Its always scary when they learn a new trick on their own.

Bull Terriers are awesome in so many ways. I wish I had room for one in my life, but I've already got two terriers and would need to get a king sized bed if I had one more dog!

She only curls up when she is on her own. When she sleeps in the big bed she always sleeps the wrong way. You do not want to wake up staring in to the brown eye. She also made her skull balls into babies while wearing her fancy pants.

1408917886667.jpg

1408917906134.jpg

Duke is getting on. At 10, he's greyed a lot and spends his days sleeping. Six months ago the vet spotted clear signs that he was suffering from hip dysplasia. No wonder he preferred never to get up and started losing his appetite.

He's now on a high dosage of painkillers, anti-inflammatories and regular injections (forgotten the name) and he at least seems more comfortable now. He no longer climbs the stairs to stay by our sides but on a blue moon he'll surprise everyone by picking up his favorite ball and dropping it at our feet.

Best buddy I've ever had.

3388215_3_o.jpg

Duke is getting on. At 10, he's greyed a lot and spends his days sleeping. Six months ago the vet spotted clear signs that he was suffering from hip dysplasia. No wonder he preferred never to get up and started losing his appetite.

He's now on a high dosage of painkillers, anti-inflammatories and regular injections (forgotten the name) and he at least seems more comfortable now. He no longer climbs the stairs to stay by our sides but on a blue moon he'll surprise everyone by picking up his favorite ball and dropping it at our feet.

View attachment 220058

Have you looked into feeding him a raw diet or adding raw meaty bones as snacks. It's done wonders for our Maggie. Also swimming is great for the joints
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409022045.284566.jpg

View attachment 220058

Fortunately we caught that early with KB. At our vet's instruction we've fed him carefully to keep him lean to reduce the stress on his hips and we don't do anything to make him run... though if he wants to run, it's ok. He'll run until his hips get a little sore and then he'll stop. He's about 10 as well and is still pretty spry. He just bunny hops a little while he runs and he prefers to play catch than fetch.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409029596.117563.jpg here's one more. He has a crooked smile since he lost most of his canine teeth as a cage-chewer in an earlier life. Luckily we cured him of that. One of the broken teeth is a snaggle now that leaves wicked scratches my arms when he gets a little rowdy.....
Sorry to hear your pup is in hip pain. Still, it's amazing what dogs can live with and still be ready to play, snuggle, chase, etc.... They're truly a model for living in the moment. Mine has certainly taught me a lot about living in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you looked into feeding him a raw diet or adding raw meaty bones as snacks. It's done wonders for our Maggie. Also swimming is great for the joints
View attachment 220068

Onetoeddogbrewery, is your suggestion related to his weight? He's always been lean and fit (lucky, else his hips would be in worse shape). Typically ~70lb but since he started losing his appetite he dropped to ~65lb.

We'd always fed him premium dog foods and over the recent years the lower fat flavors and senior dog supplements but our vet recently suggested even lower fat foods such as boiled chicken and rice! Hell, I wouldn't be able to stomach it so we've started feeding him minced lean beef mixed with rice.

Did Maggie suffer from dysplatia too and did you start the raw meat diet afterwards? I wish Duke would try swimming. He's such a coward whenever he approaches water! He's a German Shepherd imposter if you ask me.

Onetoeddogbrewery, is your suggestion related to his weight?

I think the key allusion here is that a feeding a paleo diet can put arthritis into remission.

I suffered from horrible arthritis and swelling in my finger joints and knees for more than 15 years, while I was a relatively young person with 22 BMI, and doctors said that it couldn't be treated. When I stopped eating grains and starches about 5 years ago due to contstant blood sugar swings, the arthritis disappeared. Completely. What a surprise. Well, OK I do get some grain by drinking beer, but it's not so much.

Might work for the dog, too.

View attachment 220058

Sounds like my Oz, also a Shepherd. He was in rough shape with seizures and pain but then on a whim would have a fantastic day. He also had a brain tumor that eventually escaped his skull and his time came though. Its so hard to watch a pup you love deteriorate.

Hip dysplasia is common in the Shepherds. We have been fortunate in that most of ours like Oz were shutzund which don't have the hip problems and our current rescue eegs has nice high hips. I think he has a little rotty in him and so maybe lucked out with rotty hips.

Onetoeddogbrewery, is your suggestion related to his weight? He's always been lean and fit (lucky, else his hips would be in worse shape). Typically ~70lb but since he started losing his appetite he dropped to ~65lb.

We'd always fed him premium dog foods and over the recent years the lower fat flavors and senior dog supplements but our vet recently suggested even lower fat foods such as boiled chicken and rice! Hell, I wouldn't be able to stomach it so we've started feeding him minced lean beef mixed with rice.

Did Maggie suffer from dysplatia too and did you start the raw meat diet afterwards? I wish Duke would try swimming. He's such a coward whenever he approaches water! He's a German Shepherd imposter if you ask me.

Not so much for weight control but it does make it a lot easier even the best kibble has filler mixed with it that dogs can't digest. We switched to raw because of all the glucosamine and other minerals the diet provides that you just can't reach using supplements.
It's along the same line as podz mentioned with paleo for humans. The only difference between a wolf or wild dog and our pet dogs is we let them sleep in the house, they have the same digestive system and they don't hunt for veggies or breads.
Our shepard is missing some toes on her back foot and would hop around and favor that foot putting extra stress on her good side and hip. We switched to raw for a few reasons and it was the best thing we could have done her. She's like a completely different dog now she walks and runs like a normal dog she even smells better.
It seems intimating and a pain at first when you start reading up on raw diet
But it's really no different than preping your own food you just don't have to cook it.
Feel free to PM me if you decide to switch.
Best of luck to y'all.

I think the key allusion here is that a feeding a paleo diet can put arthritis into remission.

It seems intimating and a pain at first when you start reading up on raw diet

No need for me to even read it up as your logic is hard to dispute so this will be my new mission. I'm open to any (logical) ideas now that Duke's maxed out on painkillers etc and his condition is only slightly better.

You guys are fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

No problem brother. Yeah these damn dogs will make you do about anything to make them happy. I'm not sure what part of the world your from but you can look into yahoo groups for raw diet groups in your area or get in good with a local butcher that deals with organic meats. You'll find there's a lot of dog lovers out there and will be more than willing to save scraps and organs for you

I take dog food "paranoia" pretty darn lightly. I think some breeds are more prone to having problems than others *regarldess* of diet.

I've had 5 Aussie shepherds over the years, and except for one getting heartworm (due to a lousy previous owner, unrelated to diet), all of them have had zero issues/problems when using either the Retriever brand (Tractor Supply) or Purina dog chow (Wal-Mart).

Both Barley & blue grew up on PDC and they are in extremely good health (Blue is a bit rotund but that's because he eats like a garbage truck) whereas Barley is fit and strong (and too tall for an Aussie but that's genetics). Both have beautiful shiny coats, and are stronger than oxes. And, to boost, they are more regular than a Swiss watch.

That being said, it's your $$$, spend them whichever way you want.

MC

Haha people's minds go strait to the gutter around here. Should have known better. It's a floating stick for swimming, or a dildo... either way he loves it

Back