My first Question on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapsk8

Reaction score
Hello im new to the whole thing of brewing and kegging. I just got done with my kegerator and so far so good. But my question is that I have a carboy of Honey brown ready to keg in about a week. I already have a keg in the refrigerator(Wheat) that is set a 5 psi for drafting. So what should i do to force carb the other keg. Should I just turn off the wheat beer to force carbonate the honey or what Im not sure. I also use the set it and forget it method it seems to work for me. I also have a Y on the regulator for 2 kegs. Can someone just point me in the right direction.

Assuming your fridge holds two kegs?

5 PSI is too low to carbonate anything in a reasonable amount of time.
It actually seems a bit low to push beer as well, but everybody's system is different.

Does the Y on your regulator have two separate valves to close the gas?

I I were in a hurry to drink/serve, I'd close the current valve, hook up the new keg and crank the PSI to 30 for 48 hours. Then, drop the gas, bleed excess pressure and then get both kegs back on at serving PSI.

If you want to set and forget..do the same thing, just get your PSI back up to the 12(ish) range on the new keg. You can always blast the older keg with a bit of gas if the serving pressure gets to low.

Thanks. Ya my regulator does have 2 valves on it. So I would just close one valve and force carb the new keg. Then serve both of them at serving pressure 5psi. Some how if I go to 10psi serving I get alot of foam. I also have short hoses on my kegs so that could be it also.

I would look at getting longer beer lines; There are some good threads on this if you do a search for beer line balancing. Most thread members settle on 6-10 feet of 3/16 beer lines. You will want to ensure you keep the lines cool, or the first pint of the night will still be foamy. Don't forget to bleed the excess pressure when you switch to serving PSI, or you might find out the next day your PSI is lower then what you thought. Good luck :mug:!

Back