IPA's suck!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Yes they do! I've always known it! All bitter, no flavor. Tons of hop bite and nothing to back it up! I've tried several and gave up on them because IPA's SUCK! They suck and don't even swallow!

Then I decided to give them ONE LAST CHANCE

and got Stone's IPA.

ok...

this is good.

The problem isn't with the IPA's, but with the man. Some men just aren't man enough to handle IPA's. It's OK, I'm sure you all are great at fashion design and interior decorating. :D

Hey now... I never said I couldn't handle it. I still finished the 6-packs of the other IPA's I bought. I just didn't enjoy them. I like having some flavor to go with the bitter. They're like the hot sauce companies that put out stuff that's all heat but doesn't have the taste to back it up. I like IBU's, but I want something that has more taste than that. This one did!

Just giving you a hard time. IPA's are like any other beer, there are just so many variations. Bitter and intense, Balanced and full of aroma, etc...

Find the ones you like and duplicate those.

IBUs do not a great IPA make, it's all about the late additions.

I have to agree here... I like a heavily hopped beer, an oz or less FWH, an oz or less at 60, and 4+ in the last 20 minutes with another oz or 2 in dry hop. og somewhere around 1.085. mmm, hoppy beer.

Edit: The OP is obviously trolling :D. Stone makes a good IPA, but there are others that are just as good or better. Methinks he just does not know what the fcuk he is talking about and has never tried Two Hearted Ale :)

Methinks he just does not know what the fcuk he is talking about and has never tried Two Hearted Ale :)

I have tried that and I still think that most IPA's are done very poorly comma that one in particular is done poorly. I've had some IPA's that are done very well. Big Sky and Lakefront's IPAs are both very good. You need to have that back end that you were talking about and Two Hearted doesn't have it.

If any of you live around a Granite City Brewery and Grill, you should try their IPA. It's bitter, but the aromoa is AMAZING. I want to go there every lunch for aroma therapy. They use a hop that's not available to homebrewers,(Apollo hops), however I think they dry hop the s**t out of it with Cascade. They're in the upper midwest. Find one near you.

Edit: The OP is obviously trolling :D. Stone makes a good IPA, but there are others that are just as good or better. Methinks he just does not know what the fcuk he is talking about and has never tried Two Hearted Ale :)

No troll here, just sharing my experience. And thanks for the tip. I haven't tried Two Hearted, but I will! Keep the suggestions coming and if I can find it, I'll try it.

Hey now... I never said I couldn't handle it. I still finished the 6-packs of the other IPA's I bought. I just didn't enjoy them. I like having some flavor to go with the bitter. They're like the hot sauce companies that put out stuff that's all heat but doesn't have the taste to back it up. I like IBU's, but I want something that has more taste than that. This one did!

Damn fine and true analogy. Some IPAs, like those battery acid hot sauces, are novelty items consumed by people just showing off.

Rahr and Sons Stormcloud is the only IPA I liked at all. It's mild to light in the world of IPAs.

But hey, if people like them, people can drink them... till their mouth goes on strike from their face.

:cool:

Keep the suggestions coming and if I can find it, I'll try it.

Which ones do you NOT like? That would preclude some misguided suggestions.

I like BridgePort IPA, Widmer Broken Halo, SN Celebration, Anchor Liberty, Belhaven Twisted Thistle, Stone IPA, and Full Sail IPA.

The last one I'd tried was Deschutes which was really disappointing because I love everything else they do. Not that they're one of the total tongue blisterers, but I just didn't care for it.

What made me give them another shot was Double Bastard. I just had that for the first time recently and loved it. When I found out how many IBU's it had I figured out that it was just really high IBU's that I wasn't liking. I read some reviews here about Stone's IPA so I gave it a shot. Tasty, tasty stuff.

Deschutes is the only one I can name for sure. It'd been a while so I don't remember the others. I'd just be happy to hear suggestions for IPAs that have a good balance and aren't just one-dimensional hopbombs.

English IPA's suck when they are overbittered or heavily Aroma hopped. American IPA's suck when there is no inkling of caramel and malt notes left because they haven't been properly done. Try a Bell's Two Hearted.

Yes they do! I've always known it! All bitter, no flavor. Tons of hop bite and nothing to back it up! I've tried several and gave up on them because IPA's SUCK! They suck and don't even swallow!

Then I decided to give them ONE LAST CHANCE

and got Stone's IPA.

ok...

this is good.

This si why we brew our own. To eliminate the practices that make them suck so we can swallow.

+1 that a good IPA has a balanced bitterness and lots of IN YOUR FACE flavor and aroma.

you want an IPA with some huge (and deliciously complex) hop flavor...check out the Green Flash IPA. Wow...

I agree...very good.

Sierra Nevada Celebration is also very nice.

IPA's are great, cant have a 12 pack of them in one night but a few to start out with is the way to go.

Back