stout recipe input/feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
.5 roasted barley
.5 black patent
1 lbs flaked barley

6lbs dark dme
1lbs plain dme

2oz northaen brewer-60 min
1oz fuggle-15 min
irishmoss-15 min
1 oz licorice root-15min

.5 roasted barley
.5 black patent
1 lbs flaked barley

6lbs dark dme
1lbs plain dme

2oz northaen brewer-60 min
1oz fuggle-15 min
irishmoss-15 min
1 oz licorice root-15min

I look at extract recipe building in the same way I look at AG building - start with a pale base and build around it with specialty malts until you have the colour and flavour profile you are chasing. In your case that would mean making the majority of your extract LDME and maybe adjusting the spec malts around it to get the black or brown you want.

If you need to increase the dark malts in that case (I'm metric so lbs confuses me) don't overdo the black as high levels can give some astringency. have a look at choc malt and unmalted roast barley too. They will add in new flavours (RB has a strong coffee characteristic) which you may or may not want.

I also believe flaked barley needs to be mashed with a base malt (never used it myself).

Finally I'm not sure if you really need irish moss in an extract brew. My understanding of kettle finings is that they are designed to coagulate proteins from hot break (which has already happened during the extraction process). It won't hurt though and may just be a good habit to get into if you move into full mash brewing later (so easy to forget them).

Back