I know i'm leaving myself open to being ribbed here...but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixonBeer

Reaction score
So i brewed a Red Ale extract kit today... Steeped the grains, boiled water, added extract and grain water, brought to a boil, added 1 oz. mt. hood hops and boiled for an hour...cooled my wort, filled my carboy and pitched my yeast.

Then i realize...the 2 oz. of Cascade finishing hops that shouldve been added right after the boil and brfore the cooling was still on the counter! :drunk: I quickly popped the carboy open and popped them in....

Now they're just sadly floating along ontop...given that this was less than an hour ago, and i dropped the 2 oz. in about 5 mins after i pitched the yeast and corked it. Did i just create a completely different beer? Am i perfectly ok? Or Do i need to add something else?

Thanks in advance!
:mug:

You're dry-hopping... sort of. You might not get as much hoppy goodness as you would if you'd added those hops after fermentation (active fermentation apparently strips away some of the flavors of the dry hops.)

It'll be fine. Good, even. Possibly delicious.

Considering an (Irish) Red doesn't typically have much in the way of aroma hops, I think you're creating something a little different. Of course you say your recipe calls for an addition at flame out so that's not really to the Irish style anyway. Don't worry too much about it. As long as you got your bittering hops in at the beginning then what you're making will definitely be drinkable. I'd rack it off the dry hop in a week or so.

Two ounces of flame-out Cascades is strange for a Red. Although I've done one like that.

The hops will eventually sink as the ale ferments. Because you will lose some of the lighter hop oils the final results will be similar. This is one case where I'd recommend racking to a secondary as soon as the ferment is done. I don't like some of the flavors (AKA grassy) that I've gotten with long dry hopping times.

This is one case where I'd recommend racking to a secondary as soon as the ferment is done. I don't like some of the flavors (AKA grassy) that I've gotten with long dry hopping times.

Or if you're like me, you won't worry about that. I likes me some grassy flavors and aromas. It's all up to you.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that you will have beer in the end, it will be good and you'll like it. :mug:

Thanks alot you guys i'll keep everone updated!

Btw...i just got home from work (7 Hours after yeast pitching) and my airlock is completely clogged and my carboy sounds like an over-active pressure cooker!

Sounds like you need a blow-off tube. Be very careful removing the airlock. There could be considerable pressure behind it.

Yeah I don't think Fingers really stressed the second part enough. I have had more than my share of attempting to pull out a clogged airlock resulting in a beer-covered ceiling.

I would just use aluminum foil or plastic wrap in lieu of an airlock or blow-off tube, but I know many people seem to disagree with this practice.

For what it's worth, Rogue's delicious red ale is dry-hopped. Though it's outside the style for a "traditional" Irish red, it will still be delicious.

I didn't get beer all over the ceiling but i did get this long foamy-hop snake that started crawling out the second it popped off...my dogs loved it! haha

No i meant they were trying to attack it and play with it, i wouldn't let them ingest it.

By the way....what would cause such active fermentation? Could it be the dry yeast i used? I'm used to white labs

I usually get "active fermentation" when I pitch the yeast slightly warmer than recommended.

For what it's worth, Rogue's delicious red ale is dry-hopped. Though it's outside the style for a "traditional" Irish red, it will still be delicious.

American Red Ale does have significant amounts of flavor and aroma hops. That's why I put the 'Irish' in brackets in my original reply. Traditional Irish Red is one of my favorites so I was [cough] sort of pushing the OP in that direction. :eek:

Well tried it several times, and after bottling and bottle conditioning it for about 2 months, it still has an extremely strong bitter, almost "Burnt" taste to it...like char...what the hell?

Did you remove the wort from the heat when you added your extract? It's easy to scorch LME if you leave it on the heat.

Btw...i just got home from work (7 Hours after yeast pitching) and my airlock is completely clogged and my carboy sounds like an over-active pressure cooker!

Assuming that the airlock will not explode northward, is there any danger in just leaving it be until fermentation settles down?

Back