What style does this approach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankenator

Reaction score
My own concotion :

7lbs munstons' Dark dried spray malt extract
1lb clover honey
1 lb 60L crystal malt
2 oz 4.8% centinnial hps (boil)
8 oz 14% of some type i forget-buddy had a pound in his freezer and i forget what type they were (boil)
2 oz saaz hops (aroma)

WLP European Ale yeast

Currently fermenting in primary into its second week

Due to some difficulties i did not get an OG ( i know i know.....) But fermentation started at around 30 hours after pitching (at around 80 degrees in the fermenter--i had to go somewhere for the evening) And the airlock is still going a bit at 10 days in.

Was going to do a 3 week primary, transfer to keg and pressurize and keep at room temp for another 3-4 weeks then cool and drink.

Any ideas what this style would be?

This recipe was derived from a porter recipe I made last fall, was very drinkable and popular at a party i took it to, major differences were additon of chocolate and patent malts (in 1/2 lb each) and the hops (i forget what i used then.....)

It sounds much like a Brown, but I don't know how dark DME is and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. 12 oz of hops though, you got me. :D I don't think it would really fit a style then.

I may have overdone it, but it smells wonderful :D

Who says there's a hop shortage on :D

doesnt taste bad so far, still fermenting 11 days in

boiled them for around 45 minutes
It may not have been quite 8 oz, but close, and i doubt it was 14%--they were in a plastic baggie with that label on it handwritten, they didnt smell all that strong...

doesnt taste bad so far, still fermenting 11 days in

boiled them for around 45 minutes
It may not have been quite 8 oz, but close, and i doubt it was 14%--they were in a plastic baggie with that label on it handwritten, they didnt smell all that strong...

And you're sure those where hops?

You could call it "Glaucoma Brownie" Brown Ale.

Back