Plastic Taste in beer (like pvc, not like bandaid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovtek

Reaction score
About a week and a half ago i bottled my first batch of beer. the recipe was an IPA extract beer with a mini-mash. Everything tasted fine when i was bottling and i have tried a bottle daily since just to get an idea about how beer ages. Suddenly in the last 2 days i have started tasting this strong plastic PVC taste. It is in the aroma and beginning taste of the beer.

I have read everything i can but no one describes the flavor like this. It isnt a bandaid or medicinal smell. It is more like PVC. The after taste is good. I have tried several bottles and they all have variable degrees of this problem.

Has anyone had this problem?
Is this batch a loss?:(

3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70...any flavors detected before hand are because the beer is green.....

After "use your hydrometer," this is the second most posted advice whenever anyone asks if they're beer is ruined...and they didn't wait 3 weeks...

Read this....it explains all.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com//showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

wait another couple weeks, and the flavor more than likely will be gone...

:mug:

Thanks Revvy! This makes me feel a little better.

I used brewvint powdered sanitizer.
Everything was brand new except the bottles, which were just old ones. I ran all of them through the dishwasher and dropped each in a 5 gal bucket of brewvint and water for at least 30 secs.

Back