clone for Negra Modelo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this on another board....can't vouch for it.

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.47
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.8
Anticipated SRM: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 25.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.7 8.00 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4
8.7 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
10.4 1.20 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
7.8 0.90 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
2.6 0.30 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.7 0.08 lbs. Black Malt Belgium 1.030 600

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.60 oz. Spalter Spalt Whole 4.75 10.2 75 min.
0.50 oz. Spalter Spalt Whole 4.75 6.3 30 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 5.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 2.8 10 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager

Here's an extract with Grains, from the book Clone Brews

Clone Brew's Negro Modelo

Steep @ 150F for 20 mins

6oz 60l crystal
8oz german vienna
2oz choc malt

strain and remove grain
Add
3lb m&f light DME
3.3lb Bierkeller light malt syrup
1oz Hallertau Hersbruker @ 3% AA
1oz Tettnanger @ 4% AA

bring volume of brewpot to 2.5 gals and boil for 50 mins

Add
1/2oz Tettnanger
1tsp irish moss

Pitch
1st choice Wyeasts 2124
2nd choice wyeasts 2206 (I used the 2206)

og 1.050 - 1.051
fg 1.011 - 1.013
srm 21
ibu 27
abv 4.9%

Not sure you can get completely there with extract brewing. Negra Mod is a Vienna Lager which will call for at least 70% Vienna malt in the mash. You wont get the effect by steeping a lb or so of Vienna and mixing with Pale DME.

EDIT - Whoops on my spelling, that was really bad. Sorry!

Check spelling:

745.jpg

I brewed an AG clone and it came out pretty good. I didn't proof my yeast by doing a starter so my FG ended up at 1.018 which made it way too sweet and malty. Negra finishes real clean and probly needs to ferment down to 1.012.

Here's what I did in a 5 gallon batch size:

vienna malt (3.5 srm) 77%
munich malt (9.0 srm) 14%
caravienna malt (22.0 srm) 4%
flaked corn(1.3 srm) 4%
carafa II (412.0 srm) 1%

Hops:

1 oz. vangaurd 60 min.
1 oz. vangaurd 30 min.

Mash: 149 for 75 min. raise to 168, mash out
Sparge: 170 for 1 hour
efficiency: 75%
Yeast: WLP940 - Mexican Lager yeast

OG - 1.058
FG - 1.018 (Target was 1.012, would have got me 6%ABV)
IBU - 25
srm - 14.5
5.22% ABV

What would I do different?
1. Do a starter to proof yeast, 6 viles of old yeast did not perform, and it cost me too much money!
2. Use less of the carafa II, came out darker than expected.
3. Use some pilsner base malt to add some more fermentables or mash for 90 min. Vienna malt doesn't seem to be as fermentable.
4. Probly use different hops, and up the IBU's a bit.

Hope this helps, I will probably attempt this again next summer.

Eastside

:off:

Have any of you had it south of the border? It taste completely different and is incredible...Especially if you are camped out on a sandbar with a beautiful woman.;)

haha yes i have had them all south of the border. and they all taste better. from my understanding they are bottled in the states. just like mexican coke tastes better then coke here. you can still find mexican coke in the states. least i can in tulsa.

haha yes i have had them all south of the border. and they all taste better. from my understanding they are bottled in the states. just like mexican coke tastes better then coke here. you can still find mexican coke in the states. least i can in tulsa.

They also make a few varities that aren't shipped up here, like vienna (sp?) and a few more. I can get mexican coke and Dr Pepper here in San Diego, and yeah, way better, although I love jarritos fruit sodas or the apple sodas more than the coke, good stuff, and re-usable bottles.

They also make a few varities that aren't shipped up here, like vienna (sp?) and a few more. I can get mexican coke and Dr Pepper here in San Diego, and yeah, way better, although I love jarritos fruit sodas or the apple sodas more than the coke, good stuff, and re-usable bottles.
:off:
yup. i dont drink real soda's any more and try to keep mostly to tea and water besides beer but when i hit the restaurants i always get coke. SD eh? i so miss Alberto's 3 rolled tacos half guac half sour and the carne asada burritos.. hmm now i am hungry.

Here's an extract with Grains, from the book Clone Brews

From Port Huron eh? I was born and grew up there. Small world.

I used this recipe except I used 7 lbs of light LME instead of a 3.3lb can of Bierkeller and 3 lbs of light DME and I added 8 oz of maltodextrin with my priming sugar. I find all-extract beers have really wimpy heads without adding maltodextrin.

I was amazed that fermenting at 45F that this took 4 months to complete! I've never had any beer take that long! I used an XL pack and stepped it up in a pint of starter so I should have pitched enough yeast.

The beer turned out good, a bit maltier than the original but unlike most homebrewers I'm not a hop head so I enjoy malty beers.

Next time I'm going to back off a bit on the malt and convert part of the LME to more Vienna malt and do a partial mash.

Looking for a good extract clone for Negra Modelo

So, a lot of good information, but no real answers to your question. I've had good experience with this one. The only way anyone can tell it from the real thing is that it's a lot fresher. Even in Texas commercial Negra always tastes slightly past the sell-by date, if you split hairs. Still love it. Lots of Texans drink it, so I'll rate the recipe as I've never had any complaints.

Please check complaints about orthodoxy at the door until you've actually done this once. Vienna malt extract can be a bit difficult to find, but I've found a few online stores that carry it. Austin Homebrew is the one I'm using now. Note: I've done this on the quick using a 1 1/2 gallon spaghetti pot for the boil and it works just as well. The beauty of doing the hops in clear water is that you can make the wort really concentrated (and you get better hops efficiency than doing it the "right" way).

Negra Modelo All Extract Clone

0.60 oz. Spalter Spalt hops whole
0.50 oz. Spalter Spalt hops whole
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh hops whole
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh hops whole

1 pound munich malt extract
5 pounds vienna malt extract
1 pound lite corn syrup
0.90 pound Belgian CaraVienne Malt
0.30 pound Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.08 pound Debittered Belgium Black Malt

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast (plus optional nutrients)

Boil .60 ounces whole Spalter hops for 60 minutes in clear water (one gallon). Add last three adjunct grains, return to boil, and boil for 5 minutes (crushed) or 10 minutes (whole grain).
Strain and sparge to 3 gallons. Add extracts, bring to a rolling boil for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in 1/2 gallon clear water boil .5 oz whole Spalter hops and .5 oz whole Hallertauer Mittelfruh hops.
Add .5 oz whole Hallertauer Mittelfruh hops to the boiling hops during the last 10 minutes.
Strain hops and add hops liquid and wort to process water in the fermenter to make 5.5 gallons.
Cool to 60F, pitch WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast, and reduce temperature to 55F as yeast begins to ferment. Ferment to completion and bottle as usual.

Back