Need a biker themed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
I have been invited to participate in a private homebrew contest that is being put on by a local beer distributor. It's for the employees of the distributor but they can have outside folks as team members.

It's a pretty fun event, I did it last year as well, very unlike any other homebrew contests. Long story short, we have to come up with a theme for our brew and the guy who invited me to the team wants it to be a biker / Harley themed.... So I wanted to brew something that would fall into that theme and I had no idea where to start since I'm definitely NOT into that scene at all. The competition is more of a popularity contest amongst mainly BMC drinkers, but the main prize (a free trip to the GABF) is decided upon by some slightly more qualified judges who shouldn't pucker at anything full flavored. Last year a wood-aged IPA won. I was thinking I might do a big RIS and aging it in a whiskey barrel but I don't think that will fit the theme. Anyone have any suggestions on something that might better fit the biker theme that won't be a light lager?

Harley, huh?

Hundred Dollar Draft
Oil Spill Stout
Over Priced Pilsner
Broke Down Bock

Ha! I kid. :)

Black and orange are HD colors so maybe a stout or porter with an orange taste to it.

Ris like motor oil would be great. I ride and know a thing or two about Harleys. There's a primary on a bike and a primary in brewing. The primary has oil in it to lube the chain. There you go. Inner primary ris.

High ABV blonde, panty dropper pale.
Or just pour PBR into a bottle and cap it.

I hang out with a local club from time to time. I'm not sure how you theme a beer to that crowd, other than to just make it black as night, or find a way to include whiskey.

Something a little smokey might be interesting. some kind of smoked whiskey porter/stout maybe.

I hate to perpetuate stereotypes, but "theme" by definition kind of does that.

If you want to make it Harley themed, just charge a bunch of money for a mediocre product. Oh, and make it give everyone gas so their anus can make Harley sounds.

Harley Davidson: the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the unwanted side effect of horsepower.

I ride, but refuse to own a Harley.

I like the black and orange thing. I also like the oak option

How about this..... go orange as below or loose the orange peel and zest and secondary with 4oz oak chips soaked in Burbon :)

Orange CDA (or call it "snarley")
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.2 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.4 %
0.65 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.65 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
2.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 50.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (5 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (2 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Fresh Sweet orange zest 2 min (or flame out if you prefer)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.9 %
Bitterness: 86.6 IBU
Est Color: 34.7 SRM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

I'm going to do it as a big imperial stout and age it in my 5 gallon whiskey barrel... I found some new HDPE jugs that I think should be food-safe (I'm checking with the manufacturer first) that I'm going to use to bottle in, they look exactly like motor oil jugs.

If you want to make it Harley themed, just charge a bunch of money for a mediocre product. Oh, and make it give everyone gas so their anus can make Harley sounds.

Harley Davidson: the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the unwanted side effect of horsepower.

Somebody's jealous.

Well, if you're doing a big RIS, then you should go with something along the lines of Softail Black Ale or something equally punny.

Hardly Davidson Motor Oil Stout

HD BeerLabel.jpg

That's a great label! I like many varieties of motorcycles, but I love the **** out of my Harleys! I haven't brewed a bike-themed beer yet, but there are some good ideas and names in this thread.

this is what I keep thinking of.[ame="http://youtu.be/CRnxEZJCey4"]http://youtu.be/CRnxEZJCey4[/ame]

I like beer and bikes, but not Harley's.

I find your above posts in direct opposition to the following post:

No. I couldn't care less.

An unprompted diatribe regarding Harley Davidson suggests that you have a chip on your shoulder.

I love that movie and that scene! I think of that every time one of my coworkers walks in dressed in full spandex bicycle gear.

Could make a Schwinnter Lager for the other kind of biker. :fro:

one of my favorite movies as well. A schwinnter lager would be awesome. Ooooh biker

I find your above posts in direct opposition to the following post:

An unprompted diatribe regarding Harley Davidson suggests that you have a chip on your shoulder.

I never said I didn't hate Harleys because I do. I said I couldn't care less if people know why I do. Bit of a difference.

Never seen a biker reach for a dark beer, let alone one at 8%+. Seems like the opposite of what you would want on a ride. Try a lightly smoked light to medium malt forward lager. Like anchor steam with a touch of smoke on the background. Barbecue, road dust and tobacco smoke....call it hog tied and double down on the double entendre.

Back