Need ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
My wife will no longer tolerate my brewing in the house or garage. She has a "Super Sniffer" and it drives her bat****. Anyway, I'm going to build a shed in the back yard and dedicate it to brewing. What are some of the creative and inventive things I might incorporate? I have some ideas and am curious as to what you all can dream up.

a god strong lock...... if she is relegating you to the back yard like a dog might as well make it your man cave.

large tv, cable, dvd player, console(s), etc to entertain while you're not actually brewing something. A kegorator/keezer to have what you previously brewed on tap 24x7. Maybe a decent grill/bbq outside too.

Are you electric or gas/propane for brewing? Just be sure to properly vent if using gas/propane to heat.

I'd also make sure it's clear of anything that could fall on it and cause damage. Would be a shame to get it all built only to have a bad storm bring a tree down on it before you get to use it even once. :eek:

If your wife is going to kick you out of the house, show her and install a stripper pole and disco lights.

You know those globes that people put on a pedestal in their yard? Well get two of those.

When she asks what they are for, tell her they are just to look at. Same as the balls she keeps in her purse! ;)

But seriously, you will need 220V with GFCI, and several 120V outlets, with GFCI.

Good lighting. Good ventilation.

Tile Floor with drain.

A sink would be handy, and at least have it able to hook up to a garden hose for instant washing ability.

I'd mount a stereo with AUX input for MP3 player, or native MP3 support.

Wi-Fi is very handy or run CAT5e if you want pure connectivity. This will allow you to not only surf HBT while you brew, but you can also host a brewcast online as well.

Comfortable an portable chair or several if you have friends over.

Grill just outside the brewshed.

Bottle openers. Lots of them. Nobody wants to walk 3 feet to open a beer.

Beer fridge.

Shelf for beer glasses.

Dual stage ferm chamber.

But seriously, you will need 220V with GFCI, and several 120V outlets, with GFCI.

Good lighting. Good ventilation.

Tile Floor with drain.

A sink would be handy, and at least have it able to hook up to a garden hose for instant washing ability.

I'd mount a stereo with AUX input for MP3 player, or native MP3 support.

Wi-Fi is very handy or run CAT5e if you want pure connectivity. This will allow you to not only surf HBT while you brew, but you can also host a brewcast online as well.

Comfortable an portable chair or several if you have friends over.

Grill just outside the brewshed.

Beer fridge.

Shelf for beer glasses.

Dual stage ferm chamber.

Seems easier just to replace the wife...

Just ideas.

FWIW my wife wasn't a fan at the start either, but then i can't stand to smell her nail polish remover, Vanilla soap and perfume, etc.

But she got used to the smell of my brewing and actually enjoys it now. Especially when I do a good job of cleaning up the kitchen afterwards.

In Colorado? I'd start with good insulation and an awesome heater, so you have a chance at brewing more than in the summer. I'm in New England, and couldn't imagine having to try and convert a shed into a brew house, never mind a man cave. That's why I'm working on putting an electric system in the basement. I'd hate the thought of having to shovel a path through snow just so I could freeze my ass of brewing beer outside in the winter, or anytime it's below 40 degrees. My biggest problem is having to give up some of my basement space from other things, to make room for a dedicated brewing area.

You did say you had a garage but she could still smell the beer brewing there- what about just investing in a big ass exhaust vent(s) and/or filters? Be a lot cheaper, and potentially warmer....

Grain elevator.......... and an underground tunnel so you can get out there to drink beer in winter without putting on your coat.

You all definitely know how to think big. And...I'm not replacing the wife. But, that's funny.

Ample storage for brew gear, kegs, etc. When I eventually designate a brew area my main priorities will be storage, running water, and sufficient power to go electric. My ferm chamber is pretty out of the way in the basement, but I'll probably build something in my brew area so I don't have to haul carboys around.

Floor drain, Floor Drain, and Floor drain.

I wish I had put one in when I poured the concrete for my brewshed.

Don't forget the bathroom or at the very least a urinal.

I engraved bottle openers to make them dog ID tags. You don't even have to get up to open your beer, just to get it. Quite convenient when you forget to open your beer and sit back down...

and +1 on the sink, I don't know how I brewed in the past without a sink in my brew room.

Insulated Concrete Forms? I've heard of them, but that's where my knowledge ends.

Insulated Concrete Forms? I've heard of them, but that's where my knowledge ends.

Check out that link I posted above. Rastra is a ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) made from recycled plastic and concrete. You dry-stack the forms (Easy DIY task) and when you're all done, you fill the void with concrete. Makes for a very durable, well-insulated space. It's fire resistant, moisture resistant, varmint resistant and termite-proof.

Better yet just build it 30 ft or so under ground. Nice steady fermentation temps down there!

Back