Yeast Washing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecruitNBrew

Reaction score
After racking my Belgian Wit to the keg, I swirled the remaining contents of the fermenter and dumped the yeast, trub, etc. into a sanitized 1000Ml flask, covered it and threw it in the refrigerator.
I had forgotten about pouring in the sanitized water first per the Yeast Washing Illustration sticky. Can I still wash this yeast or should it be dumped?
Any help would be appreciated!

Since your flask was sanitized, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go ahead and wash it. If I'm planning to brew with the yeast in the next week or so, I don't even wash it, I just pour into a jar and stick it in the fridge as you did. I think as long as your sanitation is good, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm noticing little particles suspended in the yeast (not settling to the bottom even under refrigeration). I assuming they are small pieces of the chamomile that I used in the Wit. Should I try to strain that stuff out or is it harmless?

I would just decant the liquid with the suspended particles and pitch as much clean slurry as you need for your next beer (use the calculator at mrmalty.com to estimate how much). It's unlikely that a few hop or chamomile bits will have much flavor impact on 5 gallons unless you're making something really light. Ideally your next beer would also feature chamomile, but as homebrewers, we don't have to be terribly concerned with quality control. :D

If you're really worried about it, you could always follow the process from the illustrated sticky and see if that cleans things up a bit.

Back