EdWorts Haus Pale Ale Partial Boil Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Reaction score
Pretty new brewer, only a few batches in. It seems that this forum highly recommends the Haus Pale Ale brew from EdWort.

He gives the recipe for all-grain, mini-mash and extract. Under the extract version of the recipe he says to do a full boil. For those of us who do partial boils how would this recipe change, if at all?

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8oz Crystal 10L (steep)

1 oz Cascade at 60 min
1/2 oz Cascade at 30 min
1/4 oz Cascade at 15 min
1/4 oz Cascade at 5 min

Safale-05 yeast

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't change as far as I know. I've brewed it partial mash, with a partial boil with the same instructions. It was a damn fine beer to be sure. Just go with what is already written. The only difference I think you may see between a partial and full boil is possibly hop utilization and color of the finished product. There may be more to that, but I don't know. Like I say, it was a great brew with following his instructions even though I did a partial boil. The only variance I had from his recipe is that I dry hopped a 1/2oz of Amarillo hops that I had lying around.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realize that you are doing a straight extract brew, I don't think my advice changes the facts. But one other fact is that the extra step up to doing a partial mash is NOT difficult and reduces the amount of (expensive) malt extract needed. Make the jump!

Don't need to change anything.

But:

- Steeping extracts less sugar from the crystal, you could add a couple more ozs to make up for it.
- Reduced boil volume reduces bittering from the hops. You can either add an additional 10% hops, or add half the extract late in the boil to make up for it.

How hoppy of a beer would you say this turns out to be? Same level as a Sierra Nevada? More or less?

Thanks!

Back