Rinsing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immobileman

Reaction score
What is the process of rinsing? We are brewing our first batch tomorrow and it says to rinse after the first boil. I am not sure what this entails. The directions do not mention the process only the act of.... This is an Abita TurboDog recipe.

posting your recipe and the procedure you are refering to in context will help us give you an answer

Yes, I know it'd be tedious to type it out but without seeing what you're referring to, we'd only be guessing as the what the instructions ask you to do.

Will do, it will probably be posted by a friend, he has the recipe. Thanks guys!:mug:

Place crushed malts in a nylon steeping bag and steep in 3.0qts of water at 152 degrees F for 30 min.

RINSE grains with 1.5qts of water at 170 degrees F. Add water to make 3 gal, stir in dried malt extract and bring to a boil. ect.....

~Question: I do not understand to rinse with 1.5 qts at 170 deg. Do I discard of the original 3 qts or am I supposed to add the 1.5 qts to the 3 qts?

:mug:

No keep the original 3 quarts. Lift the steeping bag above the pot and pour the 1.5 quarts of 170 degree water over the bag and let the "drippings" fall into the pot. Once the bag comes close to not dripping, then discard the bag of grains.

A colander held above the pot is very handy for the rinsing operation. I had one that I could hang on the top of the pot and let it to drain for a few minutes. Have fun with your brew you two!

Oh yeah, Welcome to HBT danpatemobile!

Any recommendations on storing at 55-58 degrees for 5-6 days? I have a portable air conditioner with a thermostat down to 61 degrees that I can stuff in a closet. Didn't know what a difference of a few degrees would make. Maybe a better suggestion for the storing process?

Any recommendations on storing at 55-58 degrees for 5-6 days? I have a portable air conditioner with a thermostat down to 61 degrees that I can stuff in a closet. Didn't know what a difference of a few degrees would make. Maybe a better suggestion for the storing process?

Storing at 55-58 degrees for 5-6 days? Is that for your fermentation temperature? Or is that for after fermentation?

What yeast are you using? That will actually determine the best temperature for fermentation. 55-58 degrees is kind of a weird temperature, though. A bit too cool for ales, a bit too warm for lagers- that's why I'm asking what yeast you are using and what the instructions tell you to do.

I use an Igloo Ice Cube cooler, with the fermenter in the middle and water surrounding it and a few ice bottles in there (or, an aquarium heater to warm it up) and a floating thermometer to check the temperature.

Thank you all for the help for us novices. We do appreciate it. So we tried the Turbodog clone last nite and it was tasty! This was after the first week in the bottle, another still to go but as advised we are to try after the first week. It tasted a little like a stout, fine with me, but it was smooth and very frothy, as I suppose it should be after the first week of cabonation. We registered 4.1% APV. We brewed the same recipe the following week so I will post more as we go. Thanks again all who chipped in and we question more as time goes on. Cheers!

Back