Pot Barley Instead of Flaked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldson

Reaction score
I am brewing a dry stout today and my LHBS store doesn't carry flaked barley. Thinking that it's okay to use minute rice in the occasional light recipe, here's what I did.

I bought a pound of pot barley from the grocery store for 79 cents. I then cooked it up on the stove. A pound of barley, water, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 60 minutes.

I've added it to the mash with the two row and roasted barley. I've had good luck with minute rice (about 6 - 7 points to the pound). Any reason why the pot barley as prepared above won't work? Any thoughts?

Thats fine. The point of flaked barley is that it is already gelatinized. Cooking it in a "cereal mash" does the same thing. No matter what, it is important to gelatinize the starches in unmalted barley, wheat or rye.

Thanks for the feedback. It`s good to have a second opinion!

Just finish my fly sparge and putting on to boil. Hydro sample for 7 gallons - 1.040 at 70F. I was shooting for 1.036 and 80% efficiency. Looks like I got 5 points out of the pound of pot barley. :)

Latest posts

Back