Anyone going to Splitrock beerfest 11/22? in PA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I should be there Saturday..

Split Rock Resort & Golf Club | Great Brews Of America Classic Beer Festival

The two-day indoor festival, set in the beautiful Pocono Mountains on the dates of Nov 22nd & 23rd, 2008 - 12-4pm, the Great Brews of America Beerfest will feature close to 50 of America's finest classic and micro-breweries offering tastes of their latest brews. Musical entertainment will be performed on three different stages, while crafts and artwork will be on exhibition and for sale. Click here to purchase tickets for the GBA Beer Festival - Click here to download the GBA Brochure.

In addition, food purveyors will be in attendance offering selections of various selectable menus for you to choose from. Each attendee will receive a commemorative beer tasting glass to take home. Seminars on various beer related topics will be featured throughout the festival.

A Beer & Food Matching Dinner be held on Saturday night at 7:30 providing an insight into which foods match well with certain beers. The cost of the dinner is an additional $55.00 per person. For Advance Tickets and Weekend Package information, call Great Brews of America at 1-800-255-7625

This event attracts consumers from the entire tri-state area, including the major metropolitan areas of Philadelphia, New York and New Jersey. Last year the festival was very successful due to the great brewery participation we received. We had a total of 40 breweries represented with over 200 different brews, and approximately 6000 attendees.

I have a couple free passes that I won as prizes from last year's competition, so I'm going to do my best to make it.... Probably on Saturday.

Might be able to convince SWMBO to make it out- probably Saturday.

I'll definitely get a couple beers into the competition, though.

Slightly off-topic...

On the website link, the pic with the beer on the web page?

What is that thing sitting next to the beer mug?

It looks like it could possibly be a chicken tender, or possibly a deep-fried placenta.

I might make it. I mentioned it to my wife last night. That is my birthday weekend and they've changed the school calender so the whole next week after that has no classes so we're considering our options.

Even if I don't make it, I may send a couple beers to the homebrew contest.

Slightly off-topic...

On the website link, the pic with the beer on the web page?

What is that thing sitting next to the beer mug?

It looks like it could possibly be a chicken tender, or possibly a deep-fried placenta.

yeah, it looks like pop corn...or something that washes up on the beach after a storm.

My in-laws have a timeshare at Split Rock but it's always booked up waaaaayyyyy ahead of this fest.

I did stay at a spectacular chalet this past weekend about 100 yards outside Split Rock's gate. The wife and I are hitting the timeshare right after X-mas as well.

The wife and I have signed up for the Saturday Beer and Food pairing dinner and the Sunday tasting session. We're making a mini-vacation of it and are spending Fri-Monday in the area. We though about the Sat. aft. session but I read reports like - if you are looking for a frat party atmosphere, you won't be disappointed - so we decided to skip it.

I did send in a couple beers to the homebrew comp. so I may pop in to check that out.

It would be great to meet more HBTers.

I think about ten of the WHALES including me will be at the Saturday afternoon session. I've heard that the Sunday session is seriously lacking and some breweries have packed up and gone by then.

I heard that some of the beers might run out and was debating doing Sat. aft. as well just for that reason. I hate to say it but I find some of the people at large beer festivals a bit annoying, particularly those that are there just to drink and get drunk. And those people that when they get to the front of a line, get their beer and then proceed to stand there and drink their beer, holding everyone else up. Grrrr..... My wife hates both of these even more so. She like to taste beers, but does not like having to deal with large crowds. Plus I'm one of those dweebs that actually takes notes on what I'm tasting and it is hard to do that when crowded cheek to jowl. So we're doing the Saturday dinner, partly hoping that they will be serving the cream of the crop - at least in one or a couple peoples eyes. It better not be Yuengling with this, Michelob with that, etc or I will be sorely disappointed. It is also a chance for me to scope out the dinner and report back to one of our local restaurants that wants to do a beer and food pairing event

They changed up our local beer expo this year and made the evening session more exclusive ($$) with fewer people and better food. It was also supposed to do beer and food pairing, but it was simply a buffet (a pretty b**tching one) with suggested STYLES for each dish, not a specific beer. My wife and I also typically will split each tasting pour so we can try more beers. However, when it came to doing the pairings we decided that half of a typically tasting pour was really not enough to explore food pairings with. As a pairing session it was a bit of a flop. It was however a great buffet with beer tasting. I had to do hardly any waiting in lines. There was however at least one brewery that was only at the earlier session.

My Merry Goes Round IPA took third in the Amber Hydrid/IPA category. That's one medal for the club of me myself, and I - although I did list HBT as my club.

Back