Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that what it looks like now? It looks like it might be ok really, the ring around the bucket is probably just leftover from high krausen.

Taste a sample. Let your mouth be the judge. You won't get sick.

That is what it looks like now. I will try it this weekend

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Howdy everyone,

What did I catch? I already racked this from the bottom into my keg and will drink it. :mug:

photo.JPG

Was there a film between the bubbles? A bit tough to tell from the pic, but looks pretty normal to me. Just some lingering yeast/off-gassing maybe

Howdy everyone,

What did I catch? I already racked this from the bottom into my keg and will drink it. :mug:

Looks OK to me. Doesn't look infected. Keep an eye on it and don't open it until you are ready to bottle to limit possible infections

Sent from the town of Rock Ridge. "Excuse me while I whip this out"

I'm interested in known the OGs, FGs, and yeast strains (starter or not) in these.

If you read this, and you plan on posting - include this data!!

I'm interested in known the OGs, FGs, and yeast strains (starter or not) in these.

If you read this, and you plan on posting - include this data!!

Guess I could start that trend seeing as how my post was the last one.

Dunkelweizen

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.014

Forget the exact yeast strain, it was a White Labs Hefeweizen and I did not use a starter just pitched the vial.

Cross posting this, since I'm not sure if I caught a bug:

No furry bits on the wort or krausen to indicate mold, no film across the wort, no other weird flavors in the beer that I can tell (drank a bit uncarbed, I'm still alive). Split the batch between this stainless ferm and a glass carboy. Carboy didn't have the same crap on the lid. Both were washed with PBW, then sanitized for 30 min with Star San prior to adding the wort.

Take a look and give me your thoughts. It's carbing now, but I'm still baffled. This is my first time using a SS fermenter.

WORT/BEER When I Opened:
ferm_issue1.jpg

ferm_issue2.jpg

After cleaning and scrubbing with PBW, Black/Gray Corrosion:
ferm_issue3.jpg

After cleaning and scrubbing with PBW, Black/Gray Corrosion:
ferm_issue3.jpg

No infection it looks ok.
What you have there is Beerstone.
Its the minerals from the water solidified on the bottom of your pot.
Put some white vinegar in the pot, leave for about 10 min and it will be shiney again. PBW and others don't remove that.

Here's a possible infection from a witbier. I fermented half with ale yeast, the other half with wine yeast and blended. The photo is from the blend. I let it sit after blending for eight days to make sure everything was stable. The taste and gravity are the same as when I blended. Any thoughts? I already bottled but I want to make sure it's not an infection. If it is I need to bleach my equipment.

It's the start of Aceotobacter infection classic ice on water appearance.
quite often it's from the wheat. Can be scooped off carefully and drank.
good advise is don't grind your grain beside the rest of your brew gear.

Here's a possible infection from a witbier. I fermented half with ale yeast, the other half with wine yeast and blended. The photo is from the blend. I let it sit after blending for eight days to make sure everything was stable. The taste and gravity are the same as when I blended. Any thoughts? I already bottled but I want to make sure it's not an infection. If it is I need to bleach my equipment.

It's the start of Aceotobacter infection classic ice on water appearance.
quite often it's from the wheat. Can be scooped off carefully and drank.
good advise is don't grind your grain beside the rest of your brew gear.

So I brewed this batch of beer about a year. Lost my notes and I can't even remember what it is. I left it at my friends house after moving out. He put it under a shelf but removed the air lock to make it fit under there. I went over there yesterday and opened it up. The white crap was about a 1/2" thick. It smells very very sour. I don't know what to do at this point. I wish I would have taken a picture of it there. Help please. I want to try it but I don't if I'll get sick... thanks in advance

No worries just krausen :mug:

Think this has got to be something. ..

Sent from my two thumbs

Brettanomyces Lambicus,
a friend had this, siphoned out the beer under this and drank it, it was a little dry and thinner but drinkable, don't let this one age or it's going to go sour.
Takes a few months to really change the taste.
Lots of cleaning to get rid of this. I soak in oxyclean (generic from walmart)
then starsan before brewing.

So I decided to do a small experimental batch. This is just some amber lme and a ounce of falconer's flight in a mr beer fermenter. Is this brett or lacto?

IMG_4689.jpg

Not sure what to do with it. It tastes ok under. Pretty high IBU so that might be hiding any off flavors. No idea how it got infected as I washed it well and then used star san. I am now soaking all of my equipment in oxiclean and threw out all of my tubing although it didn't come in contact with it.

Accidental infection...

Can anyone identify or let me know if I should do a dump or not?

cLQTB3E.jpg

And before anyone says they are bubbles...they are not. I have stared at them long and hard and can tell the bubbles from these little guys. Also, I took a sample and it doesnt smell sour or stale, but it does smell really apple'y. I tasted it and it tastes like apple juice mixed with beer haha. Not terrible but not great... But these little things stayed in tact on the side of the wine thief so they are not bubbles.

Any help? :-S

Thanks!

My wife's friend's husband wants to trade beers with me. This is a picture of his beer as it's being bottled. This looks like an infection to me. Do I want to trade with him? I've never had an infection, but I've also never seen anything like this when I'm bottling.

1798536_773542000571_1577522462_n.jpg

Not sure what to do with it. It tastes ok under. Pretty high IBU so that might be hiding any off flavors. No idea how it got infected as I washed it well and then used star san. I am now soaking all of my equipment in oxiclean and threw out all of my tubing although it didn't come in contact with it.

A friend had one, drank it anyways. Just a little drier and lighter body.
I wouldn't try and keep it for months at room temp in bottles.
No use pitching the tubing just boil some water and throw them in.
Sometimes it just happens, it's in the air gets on a spoon you forget to spray
Happens all sorts of ways.

Accidental infection...

cLQTB3E.jpg

And before anyone says they are bubbles...they are not. I have stared at them long and hard and can tell the bubbles from these little guys. Also, I took a sample and it doesnt smell sour or stale, but it does smell really apple'y. I tasted it and it tastes like apple juice mixed with beer haha. Not terrible but not great... But these little things stayed in tact on the side of the wine thief so they are not bubbles.

Thanks!

Not good,
maybe Aceotobacter? do the little bubbles trail down into the beer like snot? Or are they just on the surface?
The vinegar like taste from an aceotobacter infection might give an apple impression as it starts, likely will get more tart, and more coverage area

My wife's friend's husband wants to trade beers with me. This is a picture of his beer as it's being bottled. This looks like an infection to me. Do I want to trade with him? I've never had an infection, but I've also never seen anything like this when I'm bottling.

1798536_773542000571_1577522462_n.jpg

From the pictures it was a very hoppy and healthy fermentation, lots of evidence of krausen on the bucket. Looks like the krausen off the edge of the bucket or non flocculant yeast and big yeast rafts to me. Should be just fine. I guess you'll know for sure when you try it.

From the pictures it was a very hoppy and healthy fermentation, lots of evidence of krausen on the bucket. Looks like the krausen off the edge of the bucket or non flocculant yeast and big yeast rafts to me. Should be just fine. I guess you'll know for sure when you try it.

Cool, thanks. I usually let my beers sit for longer than most people and I rarely secondary ferment, so I've never seen anything quite like that before.

Not good,
maybe Aceotobacter? do the little bubbles trail down into the beer like snot? Or are they just on the surface?
The vinegar like taste from an aceotobacter infection might give an apple impression as it starts, likely will get more tart, and more coverage area

They are just on the surface. White in colour and seem independent of each other. I'm bottling it tonight so it can't spread much more.

Is it dangerous to drink a contaminated beer? Or just a flavour thing? Shouldn't the alcohol, Ph, and co2 kill most baddies?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Brew mobile app

They are just on the surface. White in colour and seem independent of each other. I'm bottling it tonight so it can't spread much more.

Is it dangerous to drink a contaminated beer? Or just a flavour thing? Shouldn't the alcohol, Ph, and co2 kill most baddies?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Brew mobile app

the organisms that contaminate beer can tolerate alcohol: lacto, pedio, and brett work together to create sour beer. some wild yeasts can sour in unpredictable ways, it may be a good flavor or it can be bad.

this is growing in my irish stout.

Don't dump it. It's possible that it is in infection, but it's also possible that it's not at all. There are other pictures in here similar to that which turned out to be nothing. I also had something that looked similar to that in a batch I brewed last year and everything was just fine. It was just an odd fermentation byproduct that I had never seen before.

Not saying that's what it is for sure, but I would close it up, give it another week or so (not sure how long it's been in) and if it doesn't grow or smell/taste bad, give it a shot.

Accidental infection...

cLQTB3E.jpg

Thanks!

well...I bottled her last night. I ended up leaving a good few inches of beer in the carboy because once i saw the little baddies from the top start to get sucked into the wand I stopped.

It didnt smell or taste any different. It was still sweet, but definitely had a beer flavor to it.

Well it is bottled and stored away, I will make sure to check back in a month to report how it turned out.

Not so much a "is my beer infected" post. Just wondering, is this typically what a beer looks like with low flocculating yeast? I used Windsor ale yeast for this brown ale.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

1394991791537.jpg

well...I bottled her last night. I ended up leaving a good few inches of beer in the carboy because once i saw the little baddies from the top start to get sucked into the wand I stopped.

It didnt smell or taste any different. It was still sweet, but definitely had a beer flavor to it.

Well it is bottled and stored away, I will make sure to check back in a month to report how it turned out.

It's the gravity where you expected it to be? With a sweet taste, if worry that it isn't done fermenting.

If it was still sweet there is a risk of bottle bombs.
Be careful where you put the bottles I usually put my in Rubbermaid containers just in case, but if you don't have that make sure it's somewhere broken beer won't ruin anything

Not so much a "is my beer infected" post. Just wondering, is this typically what a beer looks like with low flocculating yeast? I used Windsor ale yeast for this brown ale.

Looks like leftover krausen with the start of lacto or other. slimy bubbles & what looks like broken ice pack.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure but that looks like something nasty going on.

Hmm interesting. Its still fairly early (under two weeks) which is why I thought it might just be fallen krausen/poor flocculation. Normally I wouldn't sweat it and leave it but I was hoping to turn this beer around quick is all and I was thinking of cold crashing.

Hmm interesting. Its still fairly early (under two weeks) which is why I thought it might just be fallen krausen/poor flocculation. Normally I wouldn't sweat it and leave it but I was hoping to turn this beer around quick is all and I was thinking of cold crashing.

It very well could be just that. I think the way the photo is taken and the lighting might make it look worse than it actually is. Have you checked sg and stuff? If it's done maybe cold crash it at 2 weeks and see what's left? And taste the hydro sample of course :cross:

i'd put a dollar on that being infected.

Latest posts

Back