I need Crystal 10L for my recipe.... LHBS has "Crystal 15 (Carastan)"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what the difference is, if any. The only thing I know is they do not carry anything named "Crystal 10L". What should I do?

Crystal 15 will be just fine. Depending on the quantity in your recipe, it will probably not even be noticeable.

The 15 is just a slightly darker roast. But crystal roasts range from 10 to 120 so going from a 10 to 15 is a nominal change.

I guess the problem now is that Beersmith doesn't have Crystal 15 in the list....Should I go with the 10 or the 20?

From Morebeer:

Crystal 15

Crystal 15L is our lightest colored Crystal available. The flavor is slightly sweet. It is usually used in very light colored beers such as Pilsners and Pale Ales to add body, malt flavor and a little color. We carried crystal 10L from Briess in the past, but the color varied so much that it was almost always darker than this 15L malt. This is the appropriate malt when a recipe calls for 10L or 20L Crystal.

Not the same thing, the number indicates Lovibond Number, which is how dark the grain is.

15 will be darker than 10, but not enough to really matter.

The "Carastan" part, I don't really know how that designation is different from standard crystal malt. I would assume that it is an imported malt.

Honestly, I think you could brew with it with no real problem in regards to the finished beer.

Gedvondur

Double click on crystal 10 and enter 15 where it has 10...I don't want to turn my computer with BS on right now so i dont know whats it says exactly, but it will change the color and adjust everything...then you just subtract or add accordingly!

Back