She Devil - Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
Ok so I have the She Devil - Trippel in the fermenter. Brewed it up tonight using a recipe I found for Beersmith.

I used 12 lbs of Pale Malt LME, 1 oz of Northern Brewer hops and 2 oz Mount Hood hops. 1.75 lbs of cane sugar and some Irish Moss.

Has anyone tried this recipe yet? Or something similiar?

Cant wait to pop a cork on this stuff.

ST

no...it could be very good! using grains would add alot more character, but i wouldn't worry too much...the belgian yeast will add alot of character as well!

stormtracker said:
Ok so I have the She Devil - Trippel in the fermenter. Brewed it up tonight using a recipe I found for Beersmith.

I used 12 lbs of Pale Malt LME, 1 oz of Northern Brewer hops and 2 oz Mount Hood hops. 1.75 lbs of cane sugar and some Irish Moss.

Has anyone tried this recipe yet? Or something similiar?

Cant wait to pop a cork on this stuff.

ST

I'd let this baby sit for a good long while in secondary after, like DB said the 2 weeks in primary. Even without the grains it should be quite good.

Wow nearly 2 pounds of cane sugar? What was your OG?

Do you have a blow off tube on your fermenter? This could be a bubbler.

DeathBrewer said:
no...it could be very good! using grains would add alot more character, but i wouldn't worry too much...the belgian yeast will add alot of character as well!

What steeping grains would you use to suppliment this recipe?
And would you cut back on any the lme if you were steeping?

Here joo go!

I'd steep with some light (10L) Munich, maybe carapils, maybe even some 2-row...and use some belgian candi sugar in the boil.

Steeping doesn't give you very much starch conversion, so you won't need to amend the LME...unless you use candi sugar.

Quick question here.

My last batch of which I just sampled with some buddies at work ( awesome ) after bottled only for 4 days.

It was supposed to ferment for 7 - 10 days. Well, the fermentation started after 3 days and was over in 3 days.

Ok so say this batch .. The advice I am recieving says ferment it for 2 weeks. Suppose same thing happens and it ferments in 3 days or less. What advantage would I have of keeping it longer in the primary after the fermentation process is over.

My last batch by what I had read was finished. i determined this by
1. fermentation lock is no longer bubbling.
2. hydrometer reading was same 2 days in a row.

Can I please get some advice on if I did ok on my last batch and how I should proceed with the second?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

ST

*edited for spelling and gramar

Evan's recipe looks good.

i prefer munich, some caramunich and little aromatic. some wheat would be nice for the head.

i'm not a fan of candi sugar...from experience and what i've read it gives little to no flavour, you might as well just use the cane sugar considering the cost. the candi syrup is supposed to be better (although i've never used it) although it might impart some color you wouldn't want in a triple.

DO NOT move that batch out of the primary before your two weeks is up (and even then make sure it's finished) and THEN give it some time in the secondary. this batch needs to condition. let that belgian yeast do its work.

ANOTHER NOTE: Never listen to times that are recommended for fermentation from you LHBS or other recipes. Fermentations are not finished until they are finished. There are so many different things to take into consideration that it is impossible to determine without a hydrometer reading. Also, conditioning continues well after fermentation is finished. With a few very rare exceptions, it is ALWAYS better to wait a few weeks rather than rush it, especially with belgians ;)

hope this helps

:mug:

DeathBrewer said:
Evan's recipe looks good.

i prefer munich, some caramunich and little aromatic. some wheat would be nice for the head.

i'm not a fan of candi sugar...from experience and what i've read it gives little to no flavour, you might as well just use the cane sugar considering the cost. the candi syrup is supposed to be better (although i've never used it) although it might impart some color you wouldn't want in a triple.

DO NOT move that batch out of the primary before your two weeks is up (and even then make sure it's finished) and THEN give it some time in the secondary. this batch needs to condition. let that belgian yeast do its work.

ANOTHER NOTE: Never listen to times that are recommended for fermentation from you LHBS or other recipes. Fermentations are not finished until they are finished. There are so many different things to take into consideration that it is impossible to determine without a hydrometer reading. Also, conditioning continues well after fermentation is finished. With a few very rare exceptions, it is ALWAYS better to wait a few weeks rather than rush it, especially with belgians ;)

hope this helps

Ok so fair enough.

Your saying although

1. fermentation has appeared to stop ( observing fermenter lock )
2. hydrometer reading is consistent over a 24 hr period of time.

Allow it to sit for 2 weeks?

Just want to make sure Im reading you correctly. Again thank you for the advice.

ST

If you find that the fermentation is over by your calculation and you want to move it to a secondary, by all means go ahead. Keeping on the trub longer will not hurt the beer at all but impart more flavor and allow for more flocullation to take place.

The secondary allows for clearing and conditioning which is the process of letting your finished product ferment out a tiny bit more and round out those awesome yeasty, hoppy, and malty flavors.

You will see in time. The longer you wait the better your beer gets. Cut to the chase and let it ferment in the primary as long as you see fit.

This topic is highly debatable. You can search on it in this forum for more information.

Good luck!

- WW

I would move your beer out of the primary once visible fermentation is over and a good amount of the crud has settled to the bottom. Definitely leave this one in the secondary for a long time. Belgian yeasts can take a long time to reach their full attenuation and even longer to develop the heavenly aromatics they are known for. Just remember to top off your airlock once in a while to make up for evaporation.

stormtracker said:
Ok so fair enough.

Your saying although

Just want to make sure Im reading you correctly. Again thank you for the advice.

ST
1. physical appearance of fermentation or bubbles in your airlock is no sure sign of fermentation
2. consistency in reading may mean that fermentation has ceased but by no means ensures that it is over. you should always check your attenuation.

especially for big beers such as this:
a. the fermentation time will generally be longer (its always best to use a starter with lots of yeast to help out...also good aeration is key)
b. the chance of the fermentation stopping short is increased because the yeast are working in a high-alcohol environment

no matter what, IMO you can allow any beer (with the possible exception of hefeweizens) to sit on the trub of your primary for up to a month with no adverse affect on the brew.

I personally will let any big belgian brew i make sit in the primary for AT LEAST 2 weeks before transferring (i'd probably give it a month) then another month or so in the secondary, and then several months in the bottle.

this is not necessary, but will give you a better beer. fermentation temperature is also important...what temp are you fermenting at?

this is all based on my experience (mostly mistakes i have made) with belgian beers

stormtracker said:
Ok so fair enough.

Your saying although

ST

I know you're excited and impatient, but this is gonna be one mighty fine brew if you let this go for awhile, in primary and secondary, AND in the bottles. This is NOT going to be a quaffable lawnmower beer, but something special, with a little patience and tlc. I'd love to taste this when it's done.:mug:

The longer you let it go, like deathbrewer said the more incredible it will be. This sure as heck isn't a budweiser clone :D.

Go grab yourself another fermentor bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy and brew up something less substantial that will be ready in only a few weeks...then you can be drinking that while you're bottling up this mighty fine brew!

Let me know how this turns out.

yeah, i'd brew a couple of smaller beers that will go fast to take your mind off it :)

easy and delicious hefeweizen:

6 lbs wheat dme (or LME if you'd like)
boil with 1 oz of tettnanger (or hallertau) for 60 minutes
ferment at 65*F

if you'd like, you could steep a few ounces of munich.

it only take 2 weeks, then straight to bottles, open in another two weeks. by the time it's done, your she devil will be in the secondary!

DeathBrewer said:
yeah, i'd brew a couple of smaller beers that will go fast to take your mind off it :)

There should be a name for those kinda beers...The kind you make while you're waiting for you big one to be ready.

One night stands?

Quick and dirty?

I don't know, everything I can come up with sounds risque. :eek:

Revvy said:
Do you have a blow off tube on your fermenter? This could be a bubbler.

Last night was a nuclear meltdown.at aprox 2 am I was awakened by this beer in my closet gasping and hissing.. lol

I have it in a 6.5 gal carboy so I "assumed" it had enough room to do it's thing without a blowoff tube. I guess I was wrong.

Anyways I didnt have blow off tube. I had to make one with the stuff I had.. I used a piece of hard plastic tubing from a bottle racking tube. I cut about a 2" piece of it off. Then I put it in the rubber stopper after taking the fermentation lock off. Then I put a piece of tubing I had on it, then I put the end of the tube in a bucket with some water.

Problem is the tube wants to float in the bucket. so I used a heavy object to hold it under the water I put in the bucket.. This morning when I woke up the tube was floating. I hope everything will be ok, but Im unsure.. The tube may have been floating in the bucket without a proper airlock for an hour + Im sure..

Its still going like a wildman.. Or better yet a She Devil.. lol

Any thoughts?

believe me, h'aint nuthin gettin in thru that tube. When you're at blowoff stage, the co2 is being expelled at such a high rate that you can probably feel a rush of air if you put your hand near the end of the tube. So for some kind of bacteria or wild yeast to be able "swim upstream" through that tube would be nothing short of a miracle. The fact of the matter is that the stuff that infects beer has to "fall" into it or get blown into it by moving air, since they aren't flying around by themselves---they can't move themselves in the air and thus are at the whims of the air currents. An airlock is a precautionary measure, but even without high positive CO2 pressure in the tube, it'd still be highly unlikely that anything could fly up that tube. The only instance I can think of is if you crash-cooled the fermenter, resulting in negative pressure, which could draw in nasties.

Evan! said:
believe me, h'aint nuthin gettin in thru that tube. When you're at blowoff stage, the co2 is being expelled at such a high rate that you can probably feel a rush of air if you put your hand near the end of the tube. So for some kind of bacteria or wild yeast to be able "swim upstream" through that tube would be nothing short of a miracle.

Cool man.. I was thinking the same but am still a novice.. I wonder how long it will do this? My last batch of Belgian Ale was nothing like this as far as activity..

This thing is like 3 mile island since last night and is still going..

typically when it blows off, it won't last long...but that's not universally true.

If I were you, my main concern right now would be fermentation temperature. Since you are a "novice", as you say, I will drive this point home: you cannot overestimate the importance of fermentation temperatures with regards to the quality of your beer! If your beer is blowing off, that means that fermentation is vigorous, and the exothermic reactions from vigorous fermentations can raise the temp of the fermenter by 10ºf or more above the ambient (room) temp. So pay close attention to that. Try not to let it get above 70ºf during the first 3/4 of fermentation.

of course some belgian brewers let their temps climb well into the 80's, especially on a big beer like that. the aging will help mellow it, but stalling the ferment is much more costly in their eyes. ;)

Uh oh

Ok so I took a quick temp reading. The sticker kind on the side of the carboy doesnt seem to be too accurate..

Looks like Im at about 72 - 73 temp wise

Problem I have though is temps around the house.. upstairs we keep the thermostat at about 65. On the third level where we sleep it is probably about 69 ( where the carboy is ).

In the basement it is 60. Wouldn't 60 be too cold?

You should be okay at 72 or 73 for a tripel. As for what uglygoat says: while correct, it's not typical to see upper 70's or 80's unless it's a saison-type yeast.

stormtracker said:
Last night was a nuclear meltdown.at aprox 2 am I was awakened by this beer in my closet gasping and hissing.. lol

I have it in a 6.5 gal carboy so I "assumed" it had enough room to do it's thing without a blowoff tube. I guess I was wrong.

Anyways I didnt have blow off tube. I had to make one with the stuff I had.. I used a piece of hard plastic tubing from a bottle racking tube. I cut about a 2" piece of it off. Then I put it in the rubber stopper after taking the fermentation lock off. Then I put a piece of tubing I had on it, then I put the end of the tube in a bucket with some water.

Problem is the tube wants to float in the bucket. so I used a heavy object to hold it under the water I put in the bucket.. This morning when I woke up the tube was floating. I hope everything will be ok, but Im unsure.. The tube may have been floating in the bucket without a proper airlock for an hour + Im sure..

Its still going like a wildman.. Or better yet a She Devil.. lol

Any thoughts?

Are you talking about the end that is going into the water bucket? If so, take a paperclip and some coins and weigh it down. You can also cover the bucket with something like a board or pot lid, putting just enough of the tube into the water and using the cover to hold it in place.

Told you this is going to be a bubbler.... I think you named her well!!!

Can you believe this B!tch is still fermenting away? It started last Thursday night and today it is still going strong. I expect an entire week before it starts to settle down. Is that normal for a high gravity beer?

My original gravity was 1.087 I wonder where Ill end up? Anyways cant wait to try this one.. I know patience, patience....

stormtracker said:
Can you believe this B!tch is still fermenting away? It started last Thursday night and today it is still going strong. I expect an entire week before it starts to settle down. Is that normal for a high gravity beer?

My original gravity was 1.087 I wonder where Ill end up? Anyways cant wait to try this one.. I know patience, patience....

WOW!

I really can't wait to hear how this one turns out.

Hi guys,
I need some expert advice. I've been brewing for about a year and a half now, started with extract and just recently started all grain (on the stovetop thanks to Death Brewer's guide). My first batch was an American Ale which turned out great. My second is what I am concerned about. I brewed the "She Devil", recipe here.
So I brewed her up following the recipe above and everything went well. Fermentation was around 72 degrees F and was in Primary for 2 weeks, here are the results:
O.G. 1.095
F.G. 1.022
Attenuation: 59% (range for that yeast is (75-80%)

Here is where I am concerned that I may have jumped the gun... I chose not to rack to secondary (didn't realize how important time was for this type of brew) because of the higher than expected F.G. and instead decided to bottle it directly (no priming sugar), let it ferment out the rest of the way and condition in bottle. After a week in the closet I opened a bottle and took a reading, still 1.022 and a bit on the sweet side. I waited another week and tried again, same thing... I have been told by a brewer that this style is supposed to be a little on the sweet side but what do you guys think? did the yeast die? did I fudge something up by bottlig too soon? Anything I can do at this point to save it?

Hi guys,
I need some expert advice. I've been brewing for about a year and a half now, started with extract and just recently started all grain (on the stovetop thanks to Death Brewer's guide). My first batch was an American Ale which turned out great. My second is what I am concerned about. I brewed the "She Devil", recipe here.
So I brewed her up following the recipe above and everything went well. Fermentation was around 72 degrees F and was in Primary for 2 weeks, here are the results:
O.G. 1.095
F.G. 1.022
Attenuation: 59% (range for that yeast is (75-80%)

Here is where I am concerned that I may have jumped the gun... I chose not to rack to secondary (didn't realize how important time was for this type of brew) because of the higher than expected F.G. and instead decided to bottle it directly (no priming sugar), let it ferment out the rest of the way and condition in bottle. After a week in the closet I opened a bottle and took a reading, still 1.022 and a bit on the sweet side. I waited another week and tried again, same thing... I have been told by a brewer that this style is supposed to be a little on the sweet side but what do you guys think? did the yeast die? did I fudge something up by bottlig too soon? Anything I can do at this point to save it?

ouch 21 days and no responses I must have really screwed the pooch on this one...

Back