3 bbl system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be a dick... but this is a 1BBL setup. 1BBL = 31 gallons, you size your batch size for half of the vessel size...

You have 55Gallon ~31gal batch size = 1BBL system.

Semantics aside, I am jealous... pricing out a 3 vessel system with conicals for myself.

sent a pm to find out when he is open for business....no response.....to good to be true?

It may not be opened yet...just having equipment is not enough to open for business ..it can.sometimes take up to a year of jumping red tape.

I have the same Blichmann setup, but use all three tanks at 55 gal. For a barrel-filling day, I'll fill the mash tun to the max, and then split boil between a 55 gal and a keggle to get 50 gal yield (to fill a barrel.) Really like it a lot. Everything works very well never had a stuck mash.

Thats a lot of carboys... I started using discontinued keggles for non-barrel (boring) beers. :) But I do see the advantage of having many different varieties.

testing room in process

IMG_2262.jpg

Great looking. You're living the dream. When you open for the public, it would be cool to show patrons all that cool glass in your basement , or have pictures of your fermentation rooms on your tasting room wall. I just think all that glass is beautiful.

Great looking. You're living the dream. When you open for the public, it would be cool to show patrons all that cool glass in your basement , or have pictures of your fermentation rooms on your tasting room wall. I just think all that glass is beautiful.

Thanks rain and for sure those pictures of glass carboys and fermentations in black and white its a cool idea and they are part of the art that was already covered let's see how it looks !! cheers !
:mug:

I saw this thread when it first began and I'm glad to see you've made it to your Grand Opening. How are things going? If you are using 2 55gal blichmanns for the boil, what are you using for a Mash Tun to get that final volume? And if you're splitting the boil is there inconsistency since the 1st runnings will be higher SG than the last runnings? Hop utilization in 1 kettle could be different than the 2nd kettle? Since you're not going all into the same fermenter and splitting the 3bbls between all your carboys is there a difference in SG between each carboy? Do you only batch sparge or is there a fly sparge used? How do you use LP propane inside - exhaust hood sufficient? All corny kegs being used? I have so many questions... I currently have a 1bbl system and am looking to do a similar operation and upgrade to 2bbl for my future nano dreams. Are you able to keep up with demand, and are there any thoughts about expanding after all the work of assembling the 3bbl system? Any growing pains or learning experiences you care to share? I am accumulating carboys with you as inspiration since they're economical, inert, and much cheaper than the huge investment SS conicals would take. The inductor tanks are a good idea and all, but hell, wine fermenters while not conicals are SS and reasonably priced.

Cheers to you my friend :mug: Updates, updates!! We need updates!!!

I saw this thread when it first began and I'm glad to see you've made it to your Grand Opening. How are things going? If you are using 2 55gal blichmanns for the boil, what are you using for a Mash Tun to get that final volume? And if you're splitting the boil is there inconsistency since the 1st runnings will be higher SG than the last runnings? Hop utilization in 1 kettle could be different than the 2nd kettle? Since you're not going all into the same fermenter and splitting the 3bbls between all your carboys is there a difference in SG between each carboy? Do you only batch sparge or is there a fly sparge used? How do you use LP propane inside - exhaust hood sufficient? All corny kegs being used? I have so many questions... I currently have a 1bbl system and am looking to do a similar operation and upgrade to 2bbl for my future nano dreams. Are you able to keep up with demand, and are there any thoughts about expanding after all the work of assembling the 3bbl system? Any growing pains or learning experiences you care to share? I am accumulating carboys with you as inspiration since they're economical, inert, and much cheaper than the huge investment SS conicals would take. The inductor tanks are a good idea and all, but hell, wine fermenters while not conicals are SS and reasonably priced.

I 2nd all these questions! Updates please! Congrats to you. I hope your brewery is doing well!

Like the setup, hauling all those carboys around must suck though lol

jessup thanks for fallow this threat ! efficiency and consistency its the name of the game ! You have to be focused on every detail but once everything is in order this thing its a beauty ! for example you have to plan your recipe based on your equipment very well if you don't for sure you would lose money every time you brew, I'm using two 35 gal for my mash and theres no inconsistency but I did notice that if you use different malts and hops (AA) you have to adjust your recipe that's why I keep a good record batch to batch ( I DID MY ON spreadsheet ON EXCEL WITH FORMULAS BASED ON MY EQUIPMENT ) and the brands of malts that you are using, as you know your LHBS doesn't carry always the same malts I try not to change or use different malts on the recipes and also I use fly sparge, the brewery has a very good ventilation besides the hood and all the kegs are on use right know if you run out of beer you have to refill the empty keg right a way ! from my experience the only thing I can tell you it's that you have to plan everything from labor hand and inventory (malt, yeast, bottles, levels ) right know our plan its to invest on blichmann fermenters with the extensions top list priority ! thanks and cheers !

check out our new levels !

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

a few pictures of our friends and family also an evening with members of the b side players from san diego cal.

:tank::tank::mug::mug:

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

So I take it you're turning a pretty decent profit then? How many employees do you have, if any?

I see in one of your pics there's bottles of Corona and some Buds in a cooler. Is that just to have an option for non craft beer drinkers to spend money at your brewery or is there another reason? Do you sell a lot of it?

Looks like you're having fun!

So I take it you're turning a pretty decent profit then? How many employees do you have, if any?

I see in one of your pics there's bottles of Corona and some Buds in a cooler. Is that just to have an option for non craft beer drinkers to spend money at your brewery or is there another reason? Do you sell a lot of it?

Looks like you're having fun![/QUOTe

thanks bobber ! I have 3 employees only but besides the profit its all about trying new recipes and styles of beers you know that the learning experience its priceless !! about the corona and buds we need to sale those because our alcohol permit the corona company its the owner of the license in other words to sale craft beer you need to sale their beers, it's so new the craft movement in mexico that the government are in the first stage on how to regulate homebrewers !

to get a better picture on craft beer in mexico see the link about ! cheers !
:mug:
http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Diego-Magazine/March-2013/The-Dark-Side/

Back