First time dumping trub from conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermotstratton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't do the best job of filtering hops. I dumped two pints of trub and this is what the second one looked like:

image-511588063.jpg

Do I keep dumping until it runs clear? I can't believe how much crap is in there.

For reference it is a brown porter with 3 oz of pellet hops total.

image-3291957419.jpg

So, this is what it looked like after settling overnight. I think it is hop debris. Seems like I have 1/3 hop debris, 2/3 clean wort. Is it inevitable that you will lose a lot of good wort when dumping trub?

I'm interrested in knowing if there is any difference in flavor of the final beer. Let us know how this turns out in a month or two. Not sure if you made a previous beer to compare it to.

Yes and no.

If your beer is fermenting away, CO2 will be keeping plenty of trub from settling, so if you try dumping while fermentation is on the way, it won't be very dense and you'll lose some beer.

It'd be much better to cool it down after fermentation is done, then trub off 24 hours after chilling, then take yeast off 36 hours after the initial chill (and then again 24 hours after that).

Unless you have the trub sat in there for a a long time or you are getting a lot of break material and hops from your kettle into the conical, it shouldn't be much of a problem (unless you're trying to make a nice clear beer like a lager, pils, hefe or kolsch for example, in which case the less trub and yeast the better).

Thanks for feedback. It is a very dark brown porter, so I'm not concerned about clarity.

I think I had to much break material and hop debris going into the fermenter.

Would you advise whirlpooling in fermenter, letting sit for 60 min, dumping trub, aerating and then pitching? Is there any harm in delaying pitch 60 minutes after transfer?

I will follow your idea of cooling after fermentation is complete and the dumping trub. I guess I got too anxious and dumped early. Is there any negative side effect to cycling temperature of beer after primary fermentation?

Lastly, I plan on harvesting yeast. Would you use yeast from your first harvest our your second harvest for building up a starter with your next brew? (or both)

Thanks for all the help!

cosmo said:
I'm interrested in knowing if there is any difference in flavor of the final beer. Let us know how this turns out in a month or two. Not sure if you made a previous beer to compare it to.

This is my first attempt of this recipe and first time using conical, so no I will not have a comparison. I will update thread on how it turns out, though. The malt profile smells great!

I wouldn't worry about the trub. You can always do it after 24 hours after pitch as well, the yeast should be in suspension but not kicking out so much co2 that the trub is kicked it suspension.

If you do a trub off after fermentation, the dead yeast will drop out with that so you can take any of the next stuff.

Back