Ubiquitous American hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can point me to data on which hop varieties are the most common - the highest acreage and easiest to grow in the US? Cascade and Willamette come to mind obviously but actual data on all US varieties is what I am looking for, not anecdotal/hypothesis! TIA.

Steve da sleeve

BigEd said:
If you haven't heard yet there is this interesting thing called Google.

The most acreage is devoted to the high alpha varieties. As the majority of the world's hop crop is processed into bittering extract the high alpha types make the most economic sense.

http://www.usahops.org/userfiles/file/Statistics/NASS%202011%20June%20Hop%20Acreage.pdf

Ah yes thanks for your help. Goggle is it?

I have found plenty of reports like this but they are seriously incomplete - "other varieties" accounting for what exactly? These "other" types are in fact those which I am most interested in finding info on.

Cascade and CTZ are probably two of the highest. Willamette is probably up there as well.

Basically the answer is, whatever the macros are using right now is going to be the most widely grown.

Back