Reused Yeast & Primary Time Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
For the first time last week I decided to reuse a Belgian strong yeast cake. I brewed up a clone of the Bush De Noel xmas beer. I Didnt feel it was necessary to spend another 7 dollars on the yeast and spend the time and energy brewing up a massive starter as the beer is rated at 12%. Anyways, the fermentation was unreal. I just have a quick question. By reusing my yeast cake is there any issue with decreased time I can have the beer condition on top of twice the trub?? Thanks! Or is the beer / trub surface area the same making no difference?

To clarify, are you asking if the old yeast cake/trub will be detrimental to the wort you're pouring onto it?

If so;
- how long did your last beer sit on it?
- did you rack the Belgian Strong off and then rack the BDN onto it right away?

If you used it right away, then there should be no issue. The BS prolly didn't have an excessive hop schedule, nor did it have trub levels that would cause a problem (guessing).

My last beer sat on the cake for 3 weeks. There was about 2 hours after racking the beer off until I poured the new wort on top of the cake. I just wasnt sure if twice the trub would cause ill effects on my new beer as I want to condition this big brew for about 4 to 5 weeks in the primary.

Latest posts

Back