Help me Decide what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Okay, I have narrowed it down to "Beer". I have untill now only done mead's and cysers ect.. I want to try my first brew but don't know much about the process and am in need of a recipie. The only requirement is that it doesn't have the "Bitter Beer Taste" as SWMBO refers to it.. I usually drink Sam's or similar type brews but she doesn't like them..

So there it is.. Any thoughts, advice or ridicule are welcome

SpamDog

If you're looking for a malty, lightly hopped ale, I'd suggest a Scottish 60/- or a Belgian-style Ale (dubbel, trippel). Both are lightly hopped and pack a lot of malt flavor. I'll save the recipes for other posters, as I have never brewed either style myself (though a dubbel sounds mighty good... maybe next!)

both sound good to me, thing is I am not well versed on the diffrent styles.. i don't really know how the hops/malts ect really change the flavor.. i pretty much drink sammy and a few other similar ones cause it is what i like.. SWMBO usually sticks to hard ciders and twisted teas.. so i need something that doesn't really kick really bad.. any ideas on some commerical brands to try to see if/what she likes.. then maybe i can zero in on what style to try for..
Maybe this should be in the "Beer Newbe" section

Thanks
SpamDog

Maybe you should try brewing a wheat/white ale and adding fruit to it while it's in the secondary. That could be a good gateway from ciders etc. to regular beer. And yes, you should get out there and try some different styles of beers before you decide which style to brew, otherwise you'll be completely in the dark about what you're trying to do. Here's some options:

Lindeman's Framboise (a raspberry lambic)
Fat Tire Amber Ale
Blue Moon
Chimay Premiere or Chimay Grand Reserve

Those are all fairly low on the bitterness, and should (I think) be in the general area of beers that you might both like. Hope that helps.

You might like some of darker beers like a Porter or Stout. They have more of a roasted, coffee flavor and not a lot of hopping. If you want a milder ale to start with then there is a Cream Ale. Check the Northern Brewer site as they have some nice kits for foks that are learning to brew.

Sounds good... i think she got one of those lambic's recently.. i remember seeing it and wondering what it was.. I might have to do a pub crawl this weekend and try some diffrent stuff, and as luck would have it my cousin is going to be up in the area... hmmm... think SWMBO would buy it if i told her it was research.. I'll wear the white lab coat if I have to

SpamDog

Back