22 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I see many home brewers prefer this size. It really doesn't matter to me that I've got to fill extra 12s, it really doesn't take that much longer, given all else. So why would I want to use them? Seems to me that I would get a yeasty second mug out of every bottle. Or are you guys using 22 oz mugs also? What am I missing?

I see many home brewers prefer this size. It really doesn't matter to me that I've got to fill extra 12s, it really doesn't take that much longer, given all else. So why would I want to use them? Seems to me that I would get a yeasty second mug out of every bottle. Or are you guys using 22 oz mugs also? What am I missing?

Yes, if you pour half and then set it down and later pour the other half, you could disturb the yeast sediment.

One reason I like 22 ounces is that it's about right to pour myself and my husband a beer out of the same bottle. Twelve ounce bottles are just too mall. :D

I like them because it's less bottles to fill and less caps to use. But yes you will kick up the yeast if you don't do one continuous poor. I've been pouring into a 20oz mug and then finishing the poor into one of my little 6oz Whiskey glasses. I have some many beer glasses now I don't have room for a couple of 24oz mugs.

I don't have a problem filling the extra number of 12 oz. bottles, but where it really saves me time is sanatizing and scrubbing. I still fill 80-85% 12 oz bottles but since I don't have the bottle sanatizing device it saves time on that step

750ml bottles here. I keep every one I get and fill a few for special occasions. I prefer the size because it's unique and accents the "special care" put into the beer. I don't bottle much anymore but these are good to keep around. You can also make much larger and more detailed labels for them.

Check to see if any of your old schools (or maybe one in your locale) has 24 ounce mugs. college stores sell them all over. I bottle some 8 gallon batches in 750's and the 24 ouncer helps a lot.

I Have a 1 Liter Haufbrahaus mug (sry i butchered the spelling) that I use and pour a full 22oz into it with no problem...as long as you pour carefully you shouldnt have to sorry about trub mixing...just pour it all out at once :mug:

correction: shouldnt have to worry about trub**...sry im enjoying an IPA that just finished conditioning and its rather strong:drunk:

i hate bottling, but i do bottle some of it for portability. bombers (22 oz bottles) are quicker and easier with sanitizing and filling. +75 for that combination

When I drink my home brew, I usually want 2. The bomber allows for a single pour into a 23oz pilsner glass, which I usually use. That tall glass of beer looks great and tastes even better!! :mug:

Back