Filter as Randall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
Anyone using one of these?

http://hopwild.com/2008/01/29/build-your-own-beer-filter-randall/

I found a few older posts about some builds but nothing recent. If anyone has one can you let me know if you like it and any suggestions that you would have for the build.

Can you get away with an 1 ounce of hops instead of 2 ounces? How long would they would be good for if I just let the randal in the kegerator? In all of the info I have found on the net I didn't find any info on how much line should be on each side of the Randall, if I usually use 6 feet should I stick with that and if so does it matter how much line is on each side?

Mike

Check out my blog about my randall build. It's well worth it for hop heads.

I built it last year for a buddies bday since we did a keg of IPA for him. I hooked it up to the keg and ran it through hops/pineapple/oranges. It worked great. As for hoses, I the inlet hose can probably be 2-3', but the outlet needs to be 6-10'. It's a pain to have that much hose, but this thing puts off a ton of foam because of the hops. When I leave it in my kegerator, the foam isn't quite as bad though.

I've left mine in the kegerator for the length of a keg (about 2 months). It usually loses a little flavor, but not too bad.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will try it. Where did you get the Sanke dip tube?

Mike

How long can you leave the hops in the Randall? Days, weeks, months?

From the first reply:

I've left mine in the kegerator for the length of a keg (about 2 months). It usually loses a little flavor, but not too bad.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will try it. Where did you get the Sanke dip tube?

Mike

At the time I built mine, I was building a RIMS system too. I had to cut a few kegs to do this, so I had the diptubes leftover. They're stainless and the perfect diameter.

I'm just now doing a bit of research about the Randall. I work for an eCommerce site that sells tons of filter stuff, so I think I'll be able to build it on the cheap.

It's obviously well-suited for dry-hopping, and the fruit sounds like it would be cool, but has anyone used it with anything else? I'm thinking coffee beans, vanilla beans, maybe some boubon chips?

Keep in mind I haven't even brewed my first batch yet, so take the above thoughts with a grain of salt.

It'd probably work well for coffee beans... for vanilla and oak, the contact time probably needs to be longer for them to really do much of anything.

I haven't tried it with coffee, but I might in the future. Good idea. The oak definately needs time in the beer, but the vanilla might be doable. I may test the vanilla and coffee on my next porter I brew.

It's obviously well-suited for dry-hopping, and the fruit sounds like it would be cool, but has anyone used it with anything else? I'm thinking coffee beans, vanilla beans, maybe some boubon chips?

There's a boutique beer distributor called Bierkraft near me that sells counterpressure filled growlers of commercial beers and they have a randall they've used on occasion to add some aftermarket flavors to some kegs. Extra hopped IPA's were the most typical, but one of my favorites of all time was a porter that they "javafied" with coffee and artisinal chocolate. Unbelievably good.

When the hop shortage hit they stopped using the randall, but with prices back to reasonable levels and this thread bringing it back into my mind I think I'm going to start needling them to bring it back out next time I'm in there.

I'm just now doing a bit of research about the Randall. I work for an eCommerce site that sells tons of filter stuff, so I think I'll be able to build it on the cheap.

Keep in mind I haven't even brewed my first batch yet, so take the above thoughts with a grain of salt.

I've used mine with pineapple, oranges, hops of course, peaches, and a few other various fruits. Pretty much anything you can think of will work as long as it won't get sucked through the filter. I tried using strawberries, but it didn't work out too well.

I built my first Randall six years ago. They work best with about an ounce and a half each - I pick up three 2 oz packs to fill the two housings. I have used only an ounce in a pinch, but a good portion of the bowl will have only beer, and it looks better full of hops! :mug:
Here it is at last year's NHC in Oakland:
Randall%20bar%20setup.jpg

Firkin%20Slots%20and%20Randall.jpg

You can see a write-up of it at
http://archive.maltosefalcons.com/clubgear/hashback/

I've seen the cartridge filter housings for sale online, but are they available at hardware stores?

Just curious before I go searching...

I found this one, added the fittings, and installed a plastic tube with drilled holes. Just need some beverage tubing and a picnic faucet to get it going.

I've read that you should use 10' of tubing between the randall and faucet to reduce foam.

Is this true?

x2_47e0b80

Definetly true. I use 15' on mine and I still have foam. I only use my randall anymore when I'm planning on finishing a keg in one night. I can turn it down to 5psi because of this and it serves pretty nicely.

Back