Painting a Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
I scored a freezer off of craigs list today and plan on starting my build in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking about painting the freezer but wasn't sure how the paint would stand up or if it would enable the freezer to let off heat. Anyone have any advise on this?

Devil dog, I used Rustoleum "water based" semi gloss black on my keezer. I used a foam roller to get a super smooth finish. I used less than a quart to get 3 coats.

Devil dog, I used Rustoleum "water based" semi gloss black on my keezer. I used a foam roller to get a super smooth finish. I used less than a quart to get 3 coats.
Where did you get it? Home Depot or Lowes carry it?

Did you scuff the original paint before applications? What grit sandpaper?

If not, did you see any issues with the paint scraping off after drying? Let's say something bumped it, will the paint scratch off?

I like the black freezer look much better than the standard white/off white so a paint job would be interesting.

Where did you get it? Home Depot or Lowes carry it?

Home Depot. The foam roller really made it go on smoooooth. I used a sanding block(the fiber ones that look like brillo pads) and roughed up the entire surface. I also took it to bare metal on top where there was a lil' bit of cancer.

Did you scuff the original paint before applications? What grit sandpaper?

If not, did you see any issues with the paint scraping off after drying? Let's say something bumped it, will the paint scratch off?

I like the black freezer look much better than the standard white/off white so a paint job would be interesting.

I scuffed it up good. The paint is durable! I will be repainting the keezer lid, since We used it as a work surface when we were building the collar.

Back