What does oxygenated beer taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
So everyone talks about steps to prevent oxygen getting into your beer. What does oxygenated beer taste like?

Rust?

Fresh air?

BoB

Depends on how aerated the beer was...I've tasted very mild examples of wet cardboard and extreme examples that would be best described as wet cardboard pulled from a NYC restaurant dumpster in mid-July. It's a pretty unmistakable flavor.

oxidation in beer can produce a wide range of compounds that taste like something. trans-2-nonenal tastes like cardboard or paper. Oxidized melanoidins taste sherry like.

Pretty much any flavor change in packaged beer is due to oxidation or infection. Some compounds, like pentanedione or diacetyl can be caused by oxidation, infection or fermentation.

can an oxygenated beer ever get better over time? I just recall a thread or two (or several hundred) that say to never throw a beer out...and that all beer gets better with age. Can this be true with oxygenated beer too?

Not to be a pedant here but the condition we are trying to avoid is "oxidation" not "oxygenation."

Oxidation occurs to your beer when your beer has been oxygenated post ferment and the oxygen in solution reacts with molecules.

what if I have never tasted wet cardboard? :D

Ok but for real. The last time I bottled the hose had a ton of bubbles sticking to certain spots of the hose when siphoning to the bottling bucket. I assume this bad. am I right? Also, how can I prevent this in the future?

what if I have never tasted wet cardboard? :D

Ok but for real. The last time I bottled the hose had a ton of bubbles sticking to certain spots of the hose when siphoning to the bottling bucket. I assume this bad. am I right? Also, how can I prevent this in the future?

When I was growing up we were so poor we used to have to eat the box that the tv dinners came in. So I know what it tastes like but I have fond memories. Only dad got the dinner so he had energy to go to his third job.

As far oxidizing beer, the beer is pretty forgiving, especially if you are botte conditioning. You can oxygenate it a little and the yeast will scrub the oxygen out while carbing the beer and before the oxygen has had a chance to oxidize the beer appreciably.

Depending on what is in the beer and what is getting oxidized plays a big factor in what the change in flavor is.

Lighter/Paler beers tend to get cardboard-like flavors.
You can lose hop flavor and tastes.
You can lose malt flavors and tastes.
Some beers with lots of caramel malts can even taste sweeter.
Dark beers can get sherry notes.

If a beer loses the malt and hop flavors, then you'll be more likely to taste off flavors from other sources, which means that you are more likely to taste an infection, medicinal flavors, yeast flavors, grass and vegetal flavors, etc.

sorry to necro this thread, but i recently bottled a batch and at least a few of them have dropped while in my fridge (tried cramming too many in there and a lot fell, and some fell out of the fridge). They're plastic PET bottles so they didn't smash but i'm concerned about oxidation. i tasted one today and it was slightly twangy, but then again it's only been bottled 1 week. is there any chance i've oxidized those dropped bottles?

Back