DIY Tap Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be a homebrewer if you make tap handles and you don't even have a kegerator LOL. I totally stole these from EDWORT. I guess the moral of the story is don't let me get bored when there is a soldering iron around :rockin:

IMG00136-20111009-1149.jpg

IMG00152-20111022-1646.jpg

IMG00159-20111023-12.jpg

IMG00160-20111023-1200.jpg

So I have a question. What size of wood drill do you need to insert the wood 3/8 insert ? I got a 3/8 size drill bit to make the hole, but the insert wont go in.....so what size would work ? 1/2 ?

So I have a question. What size of wood drill do you need to insert the wood 3/8 insert ? I got a 3/8 size drill bit to make the hole, but the insert wont go in.....so what size would work ? 1/2 ?
1/2" for most woods. I have to use 9/16" for some to prevent the insert from stripping the wood out.

-Joe

Joe,
Where do you get that fancy looking stuff. I don't think my lumberyard carries anything like that.

Here's another pretty for y'all. This guy is from Tulipwood with a loose, 'captured' ring on it. It's all made from one piece - the ring is turned right in place.

tulipwood_ring.jpg

tulipwood_ring2.jpg

-Joe

Joe, your stuff is fantastic - I wish I had a couple hundred spare lying around, to get five handles for my keezer. (Instead I spent it on another utilikilt, haha!)

I guess I should show what the fruits of my labor have yielded thus far:
Bullet bill and Bill blaster!
img0445bm.jpg

So here is what they both look like together with my brand new perlicks:
img0447w.jpg

Wife just surprised me with these hand craft femo handles. 3 out of four were requests I made, she surprised me with the pumpkin one after I made my pumpkin ale.

TapHandles1.jpg

TapHandles2.jpg

that is what I wanted to do too. finding them for a decent price is the hard part, since I'm a civilian.:mug:

I leave Afghanistan in a few months, you keep in touch, and I manage to grab a bunch of casings...we can work a trade. I only need 3 or so.

I leave Afghanistan in a few months, you keep in touch, and I manage to grab a bunch of casings...we can work a trade. I only need 3 or so.

Please be carefull on what you pick up. Some of the most interesting things are meant to mame and kill over there.

Talking about booby traps.

Here is one of my future plans....Its a casing from the 30mm cannon of an A-10.

Pleeeeease think about what was shot out of that casing... it was a depleted uranium round. not exactly the safest thing to have laying around the house not to mention around an open beer glass.

I ordered medium Ferrules and just got done putting togeather the White Labs vials filled with grain. I am very happy with these tap handles.

Pleeeeease think about what was shot out of that casing... it was a depleted uranium round. not exactly the safest thing to have laying around the house not to mention around an open beer glass.

Thanks for the concern....but do you REALLY think they would hand out casings that held DEPLETED URANIUM???? These casings had HEI rounds, AKA high explosive incendiary, and I assure you, they will be cleaned.

If they feel a little flimsy, put a metal washer in the cap, if you haven't already. Makes them solid as a rock.

Already done, the washer makes the handle very solid! and mine is stainless. I also found some stainless dome head shaped hex bolts at my local True Value Hardware. I thought it would look a little cleaner if/when I ever cram a bunch of hops in one I think. FWIW those vials will screw into any standard 20 oz or 2L soda cap. That is good info if you do not like the standard black cap. ;)

Awesome handles timbudtwo! What are they made of? I have a NES controler handle floating around somewhere in this thread.

Awesome handles timbudtwo! What are they made of? I have a NES controler handle floating around somewhere in this thread.

The piranha plant is made from sculpey and painted with acrylic. Tube is pvc and a pipe fitting cut in half. I filled the bottom with body filler and drilled it out for a threaded insert. Bullet bill I got off ebay; he was injection molded. However, I did glue a piece of pvc pipe on to the back of him so he would fit into the T fitting and be removeable / moveable. I painted both with rattlecan paint. 3-4 coats to get a nice gloss then I baked in the oven at just under 200 for an hour and then turned it off and left it in there until the oven cools. I just put a bolt in the threaded insert and hang it from the oven grating. This is the only way I have been able to get uncatalyzed rattlecan paint to cure properly. I have some pvc parts that I didn't bake and the paint is soft forever. I have a piece from 2007 that is still soft!

I don't have any new pictures but these are just too good not to share again.
They aren't DIY by me at least but someone did indeed carve them by hand.

DSCF2135.jpg

DSCF2139.jpg

DSCF2138.jpg

I got these custom tap handles from wildvine carvings and used at least one of them every day since I got them and they still look brand new.

She's even got a display at my lhbs so I guess some other brewers probably have some by the same artist by now.

Open beer glass or closed bottle I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to radiation. But in this case I wouldn't worry about it
They used depleted uranium for aileron counterweights in the C141. Just kept the spares in a parts locker, no special shielding. They are depleted after all. Only slightly radioactive. But much heavier than lead.

Open beer glass or closed bottle I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to radiation. But in this case I wouldn't worry about it
They used depleted uranium for aileron counterweights in the C141. Just kept the spares in a parts locker, no special shielding. They are depleted after all. Only slightly radioactive. But much heavier than lead.

its not a question of it being radioactive. it's a question of not getting any DU in a beer glass or on the skin. just look up the side effects of DU in the human body.

not quite as cool as most of the others on here, but here's my first attempt at home made ...

golfball2.jpg

going to mount a putter head to go along with it for my second tap in the near future

not quite as cool as most of the others on here, but here's my first attempt at home made ...

golfball2.jpg

going to mount a putter head to go along with it for my second tap in the near future

I made basically the exact thing. I clamped a golf ball in a vice and drilled a shallow 5/8" hole in it, then used JB weld to anchor a 3/8" nut in the hole.

Great job!

Back