Big QC Day at White Labs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
Big QC Day at White Labs! $130 for extensive analysis of two beers! Open to all #brewing http://ow.ly/3vfmZ

has anyone done this before? Is it worth the time and money? can you provide an example of the provided results?

The Whitelabs QC program is for microbreweries-not home brewers. I wouldn't see any advantage for a homebrewer to have such an analysis done because you are dealing with such small batches and you have no profit motive. I don't see how knowing what microorganisms and the specific amount of IBU's in a homebrewers batch of beer would be of any help. Further, if consistency varied slightly from batch to batch, would it really matter? Afterall, you don't have a consumer public to worry about.

The Whitelabs QC program is for microbreweries-not home brewers. I wouldn't see any advantage for a homebrewer to have such an analysis done because you are dealing with such small batches and you have no profit motive. I don't see how knowing what microorganisms and the specific amount of IBU's in a homebrewers batch of beer would be of any help. Further, if consistency varied slightly from batch to batch, would it really matter? Afterall, you don't have a consumer public to worry about.

Because it would be cool, and in the scheme of things $130 isn't really that expensive to many homebrewers.

I could see doing this in two situations.
1. You have a house recipe that you brew several batches of a year and you want to know exactly what it is (just because it would be neat to know)
2. You have a common flavor (could be a good one or a bad one) in all of your beers and you suspect a house bug/infection. You want to ID the bug so that you can either propagate it and make the most of its unique characteristics or confirm what the infection is

A friend, Nathan Smith sent 2 beers for QC last year... A Double IPA and Kolsch. You can see scans of the results and compare them to the ProMash calculations here: http://destroy.net/brewing/461/

Seems pretty cool to me. It'd be neat if they added in carbonation level though.

A friend, Nathan Smith sent 2 beers for QC last year... A Double IPA and Kolsch. You can see scans of the results and compare them to the ProMash calculations here: http://destroy.net/brewing/461/

Seems pretty cool to me. It'd be neat if they added in carbonation level though.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I will be sending in my house wheat and APA. Since I brew those recipes 5 times a year 139$ is worth it to me.

Your friend's double IPA only had 29 IBUs. Something about that doesn't sound right.

Your friend's double IPA only had 29 IBUs. Something about that doesn't sound right.

He was kind of surprised at that calculation as well. It's a pretty hoppy and an excellent DIPA from my several samplings! Silver medal in the Final round of the 2009 National Hombrew Competition. That's a pretty tough category too, if not toughest...

Back